advertisement

Hugo2 vs Ndac+TeddyXPS

Ryonan

pfm Member
Owning Ndac+TeddyXPS
Would that consider an upgrade if i swap for a Hugo2(or newer Qutest)?
Searched the forum but no direct comparison

Depends on who you ask
Frequently discussed on Naim Forum

Not sure the Qutest is out yet

Personally I would never have a batteri powered Dac with hassle this could provide, rules out any Hugo for me

Perhaps optimise your source first (transport ?)

I had a Hugo2 on loan, it is a pretty irritating thing to use with its daft confusing array of colours, really wanted to not like it but from the first moment I listened to it I was hooked, it has wonderful open detailed sound thats up there with the very best. Sadly the Naim dacs don't come anywhere close to this imo.

I haven't heard either but have read widely in preparation for a future DAC purchase. In summary, the impression I formed is that the Naim presents a more 'analogue' soundscape whereas the Hugo is the way to go if you're on a relentless pursuit of detail. It's very subjective and all I take from what I've read is that home dem is essential unless you buy used at a price that enables selling on if it doesn't suit.
I hadn't heard of the Qutest but, having googled it, that would suit me better than summat with a headphone amp I wouldn't use (also PerF's point about non-user replaceable batteries).

A Metrum Octave will sound far better than your Naim DAC. My tip would be to have a look at the comments in the Classic room regarding the JVC AX-Z1010TN

Depends on who you ask

Personally I would never have a batteri powered Dac with hassle this could provide, rules out any Hugo for me

You can leave the Hugo connected to the mains while using. No hassle. The battery supply and headphone function make it an audio Swiss Army knife, of fine quality.

I like my Hugo but won't buy a non-user replaceable battery dac anymore as the batteries have already failed and the new ones will fail ad infinitum...

Must be Chord's view of planned obsolescence!

Now add up what the Naim and Teddy cost compared to Qutest, or 2Qute, or second hand Octave for that matter.

I went from ndac / PS555 to Hugo & then to Hugo TT. In my system the Hugo had better resolution and sounded more musical. The Naim combo (not using Naim amps) was more upfront & possibly livelier, but with a slightly smaller soundstage.

Depends on who you ask

running NDX which i like and no plan for a change

running NDX which i like and no plan for a change

You're probably fine then! The NDAC can be very good, but is unusually sensitive to what is feeding it IME. I would note though that it sounds identical fed by any Naim streamer, as all their digital outs are identical, if you have a UnitiServe in your system try it. You might decide to move the NDX on, it's a lot of money to have tied up in its onboard DAC and analogue stages which are not being used when it is feeding a DAC,

As a self-confessed dac obsessive, with a long history of diy days of varying quality, and having owned or had extended auditions of many well-regarded commercial devices, I have strong opinions on this subject.

But they are just my opinions and many will disagree, which apparently is their right.

The Hugo - no let's be accurate - all Chord dacs have bad or utterly appalling ergonomics. They are a pita to use. But the Hugo 2 does sound terrific. Musical, detailed and addictive. The Qutest will probably be more of the same only slightly less irritating to look at and use. Without the battery risks. If you can get past the looks, the useless user interface, the dumb placement of connections (applies only to Hugo variants) and the overly dogmatic approach of its designers it may be just the ticket.

But for similar money there are other good choices - Benchmark, Mytek and - possibly - the mid range Schiit multibit dacs all compete on price and sound. There is also the Rme ADI-2 Dac just about to hit the streets which, though I haven't yet heard one, should offer even better value at half the price of the Hugo 2.

Any assessment of value is subjective of course. My own is that there is a lot of margin being made somewhere along the line in selling Hugo 2 at 1800 quid. Ultimately you might decide the musical enjoyment it offers is worth it. If my choices were limited to Chord or Naim I would wait for the Qutest to arrive in my local emporium and have my debit card handy.

A good point about perceived value/excessive margins, but as much as I was impressed by the £1800 Hugo2 I ended up buying a second hand Audio Note DAC for similar money and that sounds better still imho.

I went form n-DAC / 555 PS to Chord Hugo 2 and am happy with the switch, Qutest is on order which will free up H2 for duties better served to headphone capability

If I did have around £2K to spend on a new DAC I would certainly be looking at Metrum Onyx, Mytek, Schiit but, although the ergonomics suck and the margins huge, the Chord stand-alone DACs still offer great sound per pound. I was bitten by the Benchmark 1 bandwagon but I'm sure later variants are an improvement.

I was bitten by the Benchmark 1 bandwagon but I'm sure later variants are an improvement.
You have to love Benchmark, they have said that the difference between the 3 and 2 is almost certainly inaudible, but they made the (measurable) improvements anyway as they were going to make the best DAC they could regardless!

You're probably fine then! The NDAC can be very good, but is unusually sensitive to what is feeding it IME. I would note though that it sounds identical fed by any Naim streamer, as all their digital outs are identical, if you have a UnitiServe in your system try it. You might decide to move the NDX on, it's a lot of money to have tied up in its onboard DAC and analogue stages which are not being used when it is feeding a DAC,
Thanks for the advice, but i also stream from Tidal, 60% of the time....

advertisement

Back