advertisement

howto: replacing the ALWSR pre-regulator by a VBE

I'm now using the Sziklai pair BC547/MJE15031 , recommended by Martin and it works a treat:)

I looked up the Sziklai pair and I am not exactly sure on how to hook it up since the polarity of the pnp is added to the circuit.Could you share the proper hook up with me?

Mike

I looked up the Sziklai pair and I am not exactly sure on how to hook it up since the polarity of the pnp is added to the circuit.Could you share the proper hook up with me?

Mike

Sure, just solder the smaller npn to the bigger pnp which is the easy bit, the harder more fiddly part I did was to cut the larger legs of the PNP and solder ptfe covered wire to the stumps so you can reverse the pinouts of the emitter and collector to the holes on the super reg. a 470R resistor is also soldered across the base and collector of the PNP.
I'll try and post a diagram to make it easier:)

Don't know if you can read this, I could convert it to pdf but I can't seem to post pdf's :)
Thanks to Martin for the help
240175331.jpg

I'm not sure about the advantage of R2 in this circuit. It is important in switching circuits where switch off speed is important. But OTOH it reduces the hfe of the combined transistor at low currents.

R2 damps any tendency for the pair to oscillate at VHF - due to the gain in the 'loop' and the strays associated with conencting the two transistors together.

The effect on Hfe is negligible; since the dropout voltage is so low, you can afford the tiny extra current through R5 :)

R2 damps any tendency for the pair to oscillate at VHF - due to the gain in the 'loop' and the strays associated with conencting the two transistors together.

The effect on Hfe is negligible; since the dropout voltage is so low, you can afford the tiny extra current through R5 :)

Is R2 connected at the right place? I was refering to the resistor mentioned in wikipedia:

"As with a Darlington pair, a resistor between 100Ω and 1kΩ is usually connected between the emitter of Q2 and the collector of Q1 to improve the turn-off time of Q2 - this helps to improve the performance of the pair at high frequencies."

Is it a mistake in the diagram, or does it have another function?

For the wikipedia link click here

No the diagram really is correct, even if it looks wrong :)

The wikipedia description is badly written... but correct about location: the resistor ends up between the collector and emitter of the driver.

When I first drew the schematic and showed it Martin before building it I did place the resistor in the wrong place.

Anyway its bit of a fiddle with changing the pinouts of the pass transistor to fit the pcb.
Martin suggested the Sziklai pair earlier on and I'm surprised nobody else tried it, I quite like this one and in my case makes the sound really clear, it may not suit everyone:)

240452421.jpg

No the diagram really is correct, even if it looks wrong :)

The wikipedia description is badly written... but correct about location: the resistor ends up between the collector and emitter of the driver.

:confused:
Martin - the wikipedia explenation and the diagram above don't look the same. In the diagram above R2 is between the base and collector of Q2, while in wikipedia it's between the base and emitter of Q2 (it's not connected to the driver at all). Here is another example.

:confused:
Martin - the wikipedia explenation and the diagram above don't look the same. In the diagram above R2 is between the base and collector of Q2, while in wikipedia it's between the base and emitter of Q2 (it's not connected to the driver at all). Here is another example.

Hi Teddy,

This is the first one I drew out, all I can is changing that resistor to how Martin advised works a treat here:)
240535763.jpg

Teddy, don't worry about it - both connections work, it's just not quite as straigthtforward as a darlington :)

As I said- it's worth a go if you need an absolute minimum of drop-out voltage. I do in my CD2, where a BC547/MJE15031 pair with R2=470ohms where ron has it in post #63 drops just 0.8v at 100mA.

Hi Teddy, guys,

I will, at last, try a home-made darlington with bc547c and D44H11 (and its opposites for negative unit). What R do you recomend me, as LP filter?
My film cap is 10uF.
I have voltage to waste...

Thanks in advance.
M

is there a formula to calculate the final voltage?

also how is this connected to the ALWSR PCB? i assume i just connect it to the output?

thank you for the help

Hi Jarthel,

The VBE replaces the PRE-regulator, hence it precedes the SR.
Connection guidelines are mentioned on post #2. See also the picks.
Final V is set by the ALWSR.
You must have "enough" V before the VBE (there may be a formula for predicting V drop here but I don't know it :D ) and good heatsink.

Regards,
M

Hi Jarthel,

The VBE replaces the PRE-regulator, hence it precedes the SR.
Connection guidelines are mentioned on post #2. See also the picks.
Final V is set by the ALWSR.
You must have "enough" V before the VBE (there may be a formula for predicting V drop here but I don't know it :D ) and good heatsink.

Regards,
M

with a darlington, is the circuit still the same? can I place the VBE circuit together with the filter caps and then a wire from this PCB to the ALWSR PCB?

I am somewhat confused how can a VBE replace the LM317T pre-regulator. the LM317 is configured to output 2.5V and in this photo: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/princesnuggles/cdp-fet.jpg, the output of the VBE is way above 2.5V.

any explanation on how would this work?

thank you.

advertisement

Back