advertisement

How to transport quad ESL 63 without original packing

Wayne C

pfm Member
My friend is wishing to purchase a pair of these classic speakers but is worried about collecting them, could I ask is there a safe way to transport them in the boot of the car without original boxes please?. Can they be laid flat one on top of the other separated by cardboard / bubble wrap and blankets sort of like this arrangement without the wooden box or is there a simpler way?.

Was hoping the above could possibly be done without the external hardwood box or any other suggestions. I will relay any advice onto him thanks.

I don’t know much about these speakers myself but saw a pair years ago in a demo room and don’t know if the electrostatic membrane is easily damaged or is protected inside of the speaker somehow I’m sure someone who owns a pair will know. If they can be laid on top of one another horizontal for a car journey that would be great.

I have transported x3 separate pairs of 57s ,x,3 separate trips....

All landed safe, lay on top of each other..

My method is a duvet for each.

Cushions,pillows to spread bumps and plenty in the middle of the sandwich.Another duvet folded is ideal.

Wedge the sides with whatever and steady on roundabouts and look for pot holes,if u use waze it will pre warn u.

Gym mats are good,recently used a inflatable camping air bed to turn some 801s over...

63s were/are prone to glue failure....

Just looked at the link,they are heavy duty shipping crates for moving between country to country etc,built like this to account manhandling by the shippers etc..
You will be taking far more care...
Just dont drop em when lifting em out at ur end in a rush :)

I started a thread on moving them for decorating a couple of years ago, but I can't find it to give you a link.

I wrapped them in decorator's cling film, this sort of thing

Here, found it

Do as Quad74 suggests. I've moved ESL57, 63 and 2805 using a similar technique - the 2805's from Oban to London and had no problems. Just be careful and don't drive like Verstappen.

So wrapping the speakers around the covers with pallet wrap won’t damage anything inside I was thinking that the delicate components might be compacted unless it is all behind the plastic honeycombish panels

So reading around the subject best not moving holding the sides due to potential of twisting them,
Mind you him not knowing history they may well have been twisted a lot in the past. What would be a sign of damage due to this so I can pass the information on m?, would they not work at all or something else which would be obvious please

Be sure that there is no hiss and crackle - any noise - when they're charged up and nothing is playing through them. Listen out for a while - the noise may be intermittent to start with.

When I bought mine I knew nothing about this. I just shoved them in the car, one piled on top of the other, and drove through the London trafic - lots of stopping and starting between Islington and Wimbledon. They were fine. Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:
To add to the good advice already given, the vital rule to observe when transporting electrostatic loudspeakers in a car, is not to subject them to sudden or violent movement. If braking, for example causes a speaker to jolt / move suddenly, the risk of panel damage is increased. Should a speaker topple from a vertical to a horizontal attitude, then I'm afraid it could well be 'Goodnight Vienna ' Fingers crossed ,all goes well. .

advertisement

Back