advertisement

How do I repair a lifted tracks on a PCB?

If you stick them down with cyanacrolate (superglue) you get a nice bond but the white residue will need to be cleaned up afterwards, other than that, it's a case of carefully flattening down/straightening out the track very carefully using the bent end of an engineers scriber and depositing the smallest amount of glue you can physically see on the track and holding down and flattening out as you go.

After it is set, remove any residue and scrape off some of the insulator, enough to get some solder on and either make a solder bridge (assuming the tracks are butted up against one another) or salvage some copper strip off an old pcb for a bridge or a wire bridge.

If the track in question is in the powerline or signal no probs, if in some kind of feedback loop, you might want to keep it as minimal and neat as possible, feedback is funny like that.

Thanks. Thats the ticket. ISTR using similar stuff but it came as pre-shaped tracks in the days before I etched boards... Its just the 0V of a 24V rail but the section ends with a connector pin hole which makes repair with wire a tad tricky...

I would be cautious of using glue; when I left school I was a technician in a factory assembling JVC videos. Any last minute revisions (electronic bug fixes!) would be fitted and glued down using JVC supplied glue on the assembly line.

Fast forward 5 years and I used to remove the same glue from a video cct revision when working in a repair shop; glue introduced resistance/capacitance over a period of time and created some nice hum bars....

I'd just expose additional copper track and use soldered wire as a bridge and then leave clean.

Richard

please do I need maybe oh... 10mm for the missing track and maybe 5mm for the lifted one. LOL

I'll PM you

advertisement

Back