1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

House Fire, lost everything I own

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Fox, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

A Hannl... will check it out... which model? I think I will hire a lad from the village to clean the records... really I'm not up for that sort of thing...

I am however very tempted to leave the sex toys in the wardrobe and see what kind of an offer they make for their repair/replacement...

2. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

Mera ELB probably. Expensive. Sell it on when you don't need it anymore.

3. David F

David F pfm Member

I don't know how I've come to this so late but, as above, glad every one is ok.

Sounds a real bummer, though, sorry.

Hope it gets sorted soon.

4. Jo Sharp

Jo Sharp Pulls on doors marked push

Awful news Fox. Relieved that you and family members OK.

Perhaps the PFM collective could help with LP cleaning- some parcels of LPs sent to those who own cleaning machines could ease some of the problem.

Jo

5. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

Glad you are all ok.
    Just wondering why, if this is so liberating, you would want to get bogged down in a huge record cleaning project. Isn't it better to just let it go?
    I regret getting rid of some stuff, but that's loss, and loss is part of our life cycle. Take a deep breath & let it go. Time is something you can't get back on insurance.

6. David F

David F pfm Member

Maybe, maybe not.

That's a personal decision F has got to make.

7. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

The photos indicate how bad the fire was. It's great that you are dealing with the loss of material things so well and are positive about the future.

Will the experience feed though into your music (I assume you play music and that's why you have got the instruments)?

Jack

8. Stuart Mason

Stuart Mason .....

Fox,

Faaaark! Glad you are all OK.

I've got a Loricraft RCM and generally think it near perfect for my needs; however, for a big resto job like this I'd be inclined to go with the VPI17 or similar to speed throughput.

I'm not aware of any apps that will download album information and print stickers. Google image searches have usually got me the images I need.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and moving on.

Stuart.

9. Tomscrut

Tomscrut pfm Member

Sorry to hear about this fox, I had the same thing happen a few years ago (although it was my parents house, I still live with them). Fortunately for myself it was in my uni days pre hi fi but still lost a heck of a lot of stuff. I hope you didn't lose many irreplaceable sentimental items, they are the worst, insurance helps with the rest. As a positive outlook for yourself my parents have ended up with a new house on the original location with a slightly larger mortgage but a lot better house as it offered an opportunity not viable in any other situation - build it exactly how you like it, within budget of course. I am afraid I cannot help with your questions though, just thought I would offer my sympathies.

Tom

10. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

Mr fox
    Hope all works out well, some things in the moment can be shit, but good things come from them very often

Martin

11. Rico

Rico Registered User

Hi Fox, pleased to hear you're all safe. good news. great spirit, great approach - use it as an opportunity.

best regards

Rico

12. joel

joel mojo working

Glad to hear the important things are safe. Take your time over any decisions, I would think that you are still in a state of shock to some degree.
    I don't know of any apps that will search for info and then create labels automatically. I would think a small DB app like Apple's Bento would be easiest for creating the labels, while a targeted search of specific sites rather than a general trawl with Google would probably be how to get the info.
    Alternatively source the PFM crowd and put up a list of the albums you want info for...
    Anyway, all the best and I'm really happy you're all safe and well.

13. Fox

My collection was/(is?) an also esoteric one, you know over the decade or so of posting here people have rolled their eyes at the stuff I list in the What Are you Listening To Threads and there are some items of historical note in the records themselves. Like TonyL I have a brutal regime of ditching the shite so rotation is no problem for me and over the years I hoofed the sting, genesis and enya and replaced it with weird squeaks and beeps from japanese bedroom experimentalists who only pressed up 500. Or Kraut bands, or Electronic psych/dance bands and so on. My collection was not only of Blue Note and Jazz classics but often of very limited runs of stuff which have artistic and historical value rather than their product worth. Almost no MoFi's in there.

It maybe in the scheme of things no use to me but its just a Ikea Expedit full of weird sounds is hardly an encumbrance (he says looking at his four ATC100s and SSL mixing console) and any encumbrance can also be sloughed off at any time. I've lost 90% of everything I own, I could make it 98% I guess but not yet, not until I have logged it and tried to work out what its all financially worth. While simultaneously trying to get the disks cleaned ASAP.

The AGA's also being carted away. Flood damage. I think they want to buy me a new one but I may just take the money. Big pot of cash... no need to buy a thing while I am in rented accom and travelling so will see an IFA any maybe "do a Mick" with the AGA and Records money...

14. Fox

Joel. Bento... of course and its readily scriptable with Internet Lookups. Hmm... Let me think on this... I think I have a solution brewing.

15. Fox

Almost certainly: this has already deeply affected my playing. I'm using a lot of Arabic and pre well-tempered modalities these days as well as listening to "in the air" instruments a lot, the hippies with Marshalls help me reconnect to an earthier sound as well, listening to Space Rock Jam-outs for hours on end. I may get into an early Hawkwind groove (always liked Quark Strangeness and Charm as well). I think with my new studio temporarily being set up here in the old Schoolhouse where they all are I'm going to be very very productive.

16. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

I think there is a an old church for sale in on the road between Thornhill and Penpont where the road comes on from Drumlanrig - mind you its looks a non established design so no spire to use as a bass horn. Im reading the thread as I type.

I just ended a 4 month consultancy stint and although Im not a rent boy I could offer to clean the vinyl here which is as you know 1 hour north. I like cleaning records

Sad but true

Mind you employing neighbours lads is very laudable -

17. Fox

Why thanks, I'm just 4 miles north of the monastery. Its pretty nice up here but Spring has arrived. I was planning on hiring a school leaver to help with the record cleanup and the bag and tag oppo on this, but help is always good, but insurance have me covered I think.

I'm done with grand design projects (maybe one final one for the studio), this restoration is project managed by someone else and I have to decide very little -- maybe internal layout. We may not even move in if we see what we want elsewhere. I'm going to look around warmer places to live as the cold scottish and UK weather in general has really gotten to me this year. Nearly 12 years I managed it but last year was hard on me for various health reasons. A good run though.

18. mjd

mjd pfm Member

Fox

With regard to your records would this help as it says it will download all info from either a name or barcode. I have and use the the programme for my Cd's and have found to to work very well.

http://www.collectorz.com/music/

Best of luck with the future although reading this tread I sure you will be coping well.

regards

mike

19. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

+1 for Collectorz - did a great job on my CDs. Works with a cheap barcode reader as well. In fact, if you go this route you can have mine for the postage cost as now I've entered the collection I can do the rest manually as I buy them

20. Fox

Yes this would be perfect. Please I would love to borrow it and return when done. I bet the data would then be cross referencable via Internet for valuation and so on (which I have a friend thinking over for me) right now I need to get the list to the insurance co and the vinyl itself saved

Or as it says here for the Pro version I can buy the iPhone app and use that?

The covers will not be salvageable every day they get uglier.... so expect something like a Christina Boltanski-influenced thing coming from me with them.
    PiL can stay out.

regards.