advertisement

Homebrew interconnects - Silver Solder/anudder question

Some rather nice Amateur radio friends of mine have sourced some spiffy 75ohm PTFE Coax with silver conductor and braid...I was wondering where I might be able to get silver solder as I fancy knocking up some interconnects and was a wondering where I could get this last piece of the jigsaw (I have standard 60/40 Multicore)

Also I see piccies of Kimber interconnects and it appears they have 3 strands woven together?...live and ground I understand but whats the other one for?...

enquiring minds wish to know (as any fule no) etc...

Paul

Send me a Private message with your name and address and I'll pop a couple of metres in the post.... Jon

One the very few occasions that i've tried to use high silver content solder I've always found it difficult to use. For this reason i now always use Multicore branded 'standard' type electronic solder.

What is the secret for using silver content solder successfully?

Sid , use a temperature controlled soldering iron set to 400 centigrade and be really quick , seems to work for me:cool:

seagullsnacker said:
Also I see piccies of Kimber interconnects and it appears they have 3 strands woven together?...live and ground I understand but whats the other one for?...

anyone any further info on this?

An interconnect (phono) as far as I can see has just two connections per side...one for the centre conductor and one for the braid...so whassup with the Kimber ones which have (or appear to have) three wires?

for example

http://www.russandrews.com/lookup/1...06377OHRYZYVBISXFXRQG/product-Timbre-2030.htm

Also lucky enough to have a temp controlled Weller Soldering Station...so Silver Solder should be OK...just be quick as Jon says...;)

Paul

Paul

zener said:
Sid , use a temperature controlled soldering iron set to 400 centigrade and be really quick , seems to work for me:cool:

I've just got a bog standard 25w soldering iron at home but have access to a decent Weller temp controlled one at work.
I got a silver/copper I/C that needs repairing and some silvery type solder so will try this tonight. Cheers.

advertisement

Back