1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Home office taking public comments on gay marriage in UK

Discussion in 'off topic' started by sean99, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Basil

Basil Harbethian

Lots of ugly male prostitutes in Israel?

Good to know.

2. Basil

Basil Harbethian

So treating people with respect is 'fading into a blandness where everyone's the same.'

Bollocks!

Hmmmm, nope can't think of a better reply...

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

I only bet on a certainty. So with politics and newspapers anything is possible.

Our laws are so complex that what may start out as a small change can lead to profound changes. Like the HRA. We now can't deport preachers of hate nor a criminal because he had a pet.

Cheers,

DV

4. guey

guey pfm Member

5. Still

Still gyldengourd

6. deanf

deanf pfm Member

I'm not saying disrespect people, quite the opposite. I think I behave quite modern in my approach to homosexuality - to the point it isn't something I really notice. But when it comes to Marriage, it's for a man and woman.

7. Basil

Basil Harbethian

This is just the usual fear-mongering from the rabid right.

Why? Because god said so...

8. guey

guey pfm Member

Well, for starters, that's not going well, what with a 50% divorce rate is it?.

9. arthur

arthur Banned

Cowardly Bigotry dressed in bland cliches. Are you a god botherer? Or just a homophobe of the secular variety?

And, most importantly, what on earth do you think gives you the right to dictate other people's choices?

10. deanf

deanf pfm Member

No, because I like marriage the way it is, one man one woman. What's wrong with that?

11. arthur

arthur Banned

It's not your choice.

You and your opinions do not have the right to compel others to adopt your 'standards'.

Please, tell me, is your 'modern approach' to homosexuality informed by any form of religiousism?

12. Basil

Basil Harbethian

It's more than a tad closed minded... and as arthur asked, what gives you the right to decide what others may or may not do?

Live and let live and all that?

Where's the harm?

13. deanf

deanf pfm Member

I'm neither religious or homophobe. We're on a public forum and I joined the debate - I'm just passing an opinion, not going round with placards saying hell damnation!

14. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Go with Atheism - it`s a non prophet organisation.

15. deanf

deanf pfm Member

I shouldn't need to justify this but to avoid any confusion: I have plenty of gay friends, I've lived with the same. I have a good friend who is lesbian, I was the first person she came out to because she said I'm non-judgemental and easy to talk to.

I am not dictating in any way. I just believe Marriage is for a man and woman. I have no problem with anyones sexuality.

16. arthur

arthur Banned

Not religious, fair enough then.

Not homophobic? yet you wish to prevent marriage between adults because you disapprove?

You may wish to reconsider.

17. Basil

Basil Harbethian

Hmmmm, somehow I kinda doubt that, but ok,

Defend your opinion, explain why...

Of course you should, what do your many gay friends think of your views on their right to be legally married?

You have shared this with them?

And yet you think anyone that doesn't share your sexuality shouldn't be allowed the same basic rights as yourself...

You hypocrite!

18. deanf

deanf pfm Member

As commented above, I think we should celebrate peoples differences not all try to merge into one. What's the problem with keeping Marriage as it is?

People don't have to get married. They can be gay. Neither are any of my business.

I knew it wasn't the popular view but I didn't think it was so controversial.

19. Basil

Basil Harbethian

Time for a re-think... perhaps?

20. deanf

deanf pfm Member

Not at all.

It will happen that same sex couples can Marry. When it does it will change my life not one iota. And when it does, it won't bother me in the slightest.