advertisement

Home developing

Thanks to everyone who has replied and given advice today, it's been really helpful. Next step is to buy some kit and give it a go.

Opinions differ, but mine is that after using plastic tanks (Paterson) for many years I got a stainless steel one, and it was wonderful! I've only used a steel tank for the past 40-odd years. If you get the tank size for 120 film, and a 120 spiral and a 35mm spiral, you can do both. Once you get the (easy) knack of loading the film starting from the centre, it is just a lot easier and foolproof. Steel tanks and spirals are also easier to rinse and dry and never break. Unfortunately I don't think they make them any more, so you have to find them second hand. Kindermann is a good brand, but there are also some good American and Japanese ones.

Opinions differ, but mine is that after using plastic tanks (Paterson) for many years I got a stainless steel one, and it was wonderful! I've only used a steel tank for the past 40-odd years. If you get the tank size for 120 film, and a 120 spiral and a 35mm spiral, you can do both. Once you get the (easy) knack of loading the film starting from the centre, it is just a lot easier and foolproof. Steel tanks and spirals are also easier to rinse and dry and never break. Unfortunately I don't think they make them any more, so you have to find them second hand. Kindermann is a good brand, but there are also some good American and Japanese ones.

In the old days in the US, the metal tanks and reels were usually marketed as "Nikor", and there were some knock-offs. Today I think the reels are usually from Hewes, and tanks from Samigon or Kalt.

But there are vast numbers of the old ones on eBay.

Reactions: Evo
I've been doing 35mm and 120 for a couple of years. Just couldn't get on with plastic spirals so went stainless steel and they are so much better. Just make sure you get Hewes they are best by far. £12 2nd hand at the link below. I prefer the tanks with plastic lids rather than stainless if you're buying 2nd hand

https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/product/hewes-35mm-reel-2/

I've had a couple of bottles of Rodinal and HC110 for about 3 years and they're still fine. My shooting & developing is erratic so I need something that lasts ages.

Agree with the comments recommending making notes. I file my negs in sleeves in a lever arch file and write the developer and time on the edge of the sleeve.

There is something genuinely magical about pulling the negs out and wondering what you'll see!

HTH. Phil

Last edited:

advertisement

Back