advertisement

Historic Aerial Photographer Explorer

Yes, I picked this up too.

I haven't quite got the hang of the UI yet, need to try it on my PC. Are the photos different to the other one that I linked to a while back https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/

I've already lost days of my life on there, most recently in Liverpool and Glasgow.

Not sure, maybe some duplication?

I find the UI clonky, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong. The background map disappears the closer you zoom in, and the overlay seems to be cluttered. The vantage point placements are often wildly inaccurate. There are only two stages of zoom.

I've done a quick comparison over Wapping in London. Britain from above has more historic photos at the moment - but fewer more recent ones - is infinitely zoomable, and the UI is clean, centred on thumbnails of the photos rather than the map. The library reference numbers for the photos that show on both sites are identical.

I find the UI clonky, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong. The background map disappears the closer you zoom in, and the overlay seems to be cluttered. The vantage point placements are often wildly inaccurate. There are only two stages of zoom.

I've done a quick comparison over Wapping in London. Britain from above has more historic photos at the moment - but fewer more recent ones - is infinitely zoomable, and the UI is clean, centred on thumbnails of the photos rather than the map. The library reference numbers for the photos that show on both sites are identical.

I get a map like this when I zoom in, clicking on the little icons brings up the relevant image

ghkiH84h.jpg

Is yours different??

It is, I just get the overlay. I have seen map-based sites such as this with a slider-responsive overlay that works in the same way as layers in photoshop, but if this has it, I can't find it.

I found some photos from 1938 of where my house was just a brickyard pit.

Pete
I found a wonderful aerial shot of when my parent's house was obvs v newly completed, the 'avenue' incomplete; and the high school across the street (which I attended in the early 80s) was just above foundation level. 1925. Fascinating, esp since mes parongs still live there.

I then wast^^^^ thoroughly enjoyed another couple of hours comparing pre-WW2 aerial photos of Bath vs the copy of the local bombing map I have. That was a lot of fun, and instructive : )

advertisement

Back