advertisement

Hicap with gyrators?

Thanks to Les (!), I have now an original Hicap transformer to put in my burnt out Hicap.
Basically everything else, needs to be replaced too, according to my buddy - he says that it seems to be working, in a manner of speaking, but the caps are old, wires corroded etc. etc...so I'm looking at a complete overhaul here,
He suggests that we put something called a gyrator in it too...
Does that sound like a good idea, and would that be an improvement over the original arrangement with just the LM317??
Cheers
Peter

Yes that can work well, or you cna use teh Hicap as a raw supply and put such measures right at teh circuit to be powered, which is probably better. Eitherr way, have a read through Teddy Pardo's thread for a how-to

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39990

More generally, remember that the schematic is only half the circuit. For example -
before ripping into the hicap though, do take notes and photos of the way in which all the wires are connected, esp. all the ground returns to the bus-bar between the main PSU caps. The order here does make a measurable difference!

I would put the hi-cap back to standard (with new caps and woring where required) and sell it - then build yourself something similar (but better sounding) for less money than the hi-cap would be worth. Les providing an OE transformer, plus the 2nd hand value of these items, should see you with money left over to buy media or the next upgrade. Unless you desperately want it to look like a hi-cap, but perform better?

advertisement

Back