advertisement

HiCap service company alternatives please

mikemusic

pfm Member
Recommendations please for servicing a HiCap

Naim - one assumes the best
Witch Hat - less money than Naim, how highly recommended ?
A Class - as above
Avondale- leftfield and an upgrade too ?

What thoughts please ?

A different idea....
Get the two big caps from Les (easy to bolt in) and the Tpr4 reg from him. Easy to solder in, direct replacement diy. That's it, sorted. Every cap replaced and an upgraded sound. Very basic diy skilks required.
I did this to mine, very cheap and easy.

All are excellent.

Naim however want me to drive 40 miles to my nearest dealer to drop any item off and the dealer will send it to Naim and charge me delivery.

All the rest I can send any item needing serviced direct to them, small point but why are Naim not in the real world, Quad you can send direct to get serviced, are Naim so special they don't want to deal with the general public?

Might you ever want to sell it on? ‘Approved’ servicing with a valid invoice for same generally required to keep its value. That restricts you to Class A and Naim (I believe). If that isn’t a concern then they all have solid reputations from what I’ve read on this site.

All are excellent.

Naim however want me to drive 40 miles to my nearest dealer to drop any item off and the dealer will send it to Naim and charge me delivery.

All the rest I can send any item needing serviced direct to them, small point but why are Naim not in the real world, Quad you can send direct to get serviced, are Naim so special they don't want to deal with the general public?

I had the same issue with my CDS3 service. I could have driven 8 miles to the Naim factory and dropped it off, as I have done several times in past years when Sheila was running the service dept. But they refused so I had to drive 40 miles to the nearest dealer in Winchester. And back again to collect, so 160 miles total. And of course the risk of loss or damage when the box was in the tender care of a courier firm.

As to the OP's question: Class A are excellent and a bit cheaper than Naim for an identical service. Avondale's TPR4s are also superb performance and VFM -and sound better than the original Naim regulators (but I haven't compared them to the newer DR regs). But all options are going to give you a good result.

I can personally vouch for both Class A and Witchhat. And I have never heard anybody complain about Les' work.

Thanks very much guys.

I'm asking this on behalf of Ian who bought my last remaining HiCap from me.
He lurks, doesn't post.
Spoilt for choice Ian, A Class, Witch Hat or Avondale - and maybe not Naim !

You can drop off at us in Newbury, Bletchley and Sutton Coldfield.

We also have a Hicap upgrade coming very soon.

advertisement

Back