advertisement

Help: Where are DPA Digital?

yeah. it is already sounding good as it is ath the moment. but if this can be made better by using the deltran capabilities i would certainly give it a go. thank you very much for your advice NeilK:)

There seems to be 2 versions of the DELTEC Black Slink on the second hand market:
One is 8.5mm thick and the other is considerably thicker and harder to bend.
What is the difference in sound between these two types of Black Slink and Which is the better cable?

I'd not heard of the second type you mention - got any links?

Black SLINK is generally , as you say, about 8-9mm dia, polyurethane coated, and made up of a shielded, litz-like construction. A stripped -down version without the shielding, drain-wires, Gore-tex and with fewer cores, was sold as 'White SLINK'

There was also an early , solid-core iteration IIRC.

The 'Black 16 ' and '500' type speaker cables are much, much stiffer than Slink though, being multiple wires extruded inside each core of solid ptfe insulation. Perhaps it's been confused with black slink somewhere?

One day I shall get around to taking pics of all the bits I seem to have accumulated and postingthem...

[ If all this doesn't confuse you enough - it's also possible to have Black Slink as speaker cables, but very rare due to the extreme cost - one needed two runs per speaker if you ran '50S' amps..!]

Thanks for the reply Martin, I have the Black Slink that I know (8.5mm Diameter) as well as the black 16 Speaker cable but am looking for another length of Black slink.

I have found a seller who Calls the cables black slink but it is much stiffer and thicker.

A friend of mine bought a pair of these "thick Black Slinks" many years ago but reported that it was very difficult to connect up due to it's stiffness. It actually lifted his pre amp up (unfortunatly he sold it quickly).

I do know that some people call the Black 16 "black slink". Do you think this could be what they are referring too but as ICs?

I used to have the 50S with said cables - I SO regret selling it...... It had with it as interconnect between pre and power a cable which sounds like the 2nd black slink you mention - very stiff, greyish-black coating and about the same diameter as the XLR's used to connect it.
I recall that Tom (dpa_service) thought it may have been an early prototype black slink. There is also a Goretex coated black slink, in all other aspects the same as the polyurethane version.

Slink - the "thick" cable had no drain wire (I guess unnecessary with balanced design) and it was not possible to open the XLRs without cutting the cable so I couldn't check the interior. Of the other single ended black slink cables I've had one had the drain wire soldered to the shielding, the other had some of the core wires attached to the earthing spade. This was the better cable of the two(imo).

Thanks for the reply Martin, I have the Black Slink that I know (8.5mm Diameter) as well as the black 16 Speaker cable but am looking for another length of Black slink.

I have found a seller who Calls the cables black slink but it is much stiffer and thicker.

Deltec Precision Audio will have new Black Slink WBT Phono to Phono available from next week. For full information contact me via here or [email protected]

Adrian

Hello,

I have just rediscovered and listened to my old dpa SX128 DAC, after some hours I found and read this thread from first to last post and finally I see that dpa is resurrecting! Incredible!

I have two questions :

- will the new dpa offer/produce DAC units?

- is my SX128 (Deltraned to a Yamaha transport) so lower in sound quality compared to the SX512? I didn't have to chance to listen to the SX256 and SX512 at the time. I do hope the Pulse Array technology will be back to life with the new "dpa 2009"!

Thanks, Fab

Hi, I just came over a DPA 50s, but the output to the speakers are xlr, do I need a spesial cable?

Allan

The simple answer is YES! Is this amp being sold without speaker cable, if so are you sure that it is working?
Over a year ago a guy bought a " repairable " DPA50s power Amp on Ebay that was in truth beyond repair. Paid £104 for basically junk.

The cables can be made up, XLR to banana plugs, you just need the plugs, a suitable cable and a wiring diagram. Nothing really difficult.

I built the SX512 and other Pulse Array dacs which are noted for their detail but also lack of warmth. When given a choice the PDM 1024 dac reigns supreme.

I have lots of spares for the SX128 but nothing for the higher pulse array dacs.

Would strongly urge 2nd hand buyers to closely listen to these dacs before purchase as many are now starting to fall over. Stange noises appear after 2 hours. Repairs are both complex and expensive.

As for Deltec's future dacs they will offer " something better ".

Hi, the the amp is working good, I tried it with a ordinary studio xlr cable. Is this kind of cable ok? Or do you have a sugestion of what kind I should get?

Alla

I am not familiar with Studio Cables, so cannot visualise what cable you are using.

All I can tell you is that the speaker cable for each channel has two XLR plugs, one male, one female which are terminated into banana plugs. The cabling is one for output and one for feedback. To ellaborate further I will have to search my notes.

Hi - my first post!

I have a PDM One DAC, serial number PF82, owned since new (late 1980's I think). Its always sounded great (linked with a dpa the power rf filter bought some time later) but I'm considering selling. However, both units while working fine to my ears have an annoying rattle which seems to be internal, located on both around the power input. I'm a complete electronics dunce and am loathe to open the units myself (wouldn't know what to do even if I did) - anyone here any clues as to what might be wrong, and how fixable it is? I could sell as is but I guess buyers might be a bit fussy about such a "problem" and I wouldn't want to mislead any prospective buyer.

Also - any ballpark figure as to what a realistic second-hand value for these would be? I can't locate the pdm one on-line anywhere, I've seen the rf filters go for around £30?

Thanks in anticipation for any replys!

advertisement

Back