advertisement

Help: Where are DPA Digital?

Hello Tom,

At £85 a mint condition TLB3 is a bargain.

Should you not like it, you should not make a loss on reselling it.

Tom

PS Whatever the colour of the casework, the PCB is the same.

Thanks a lot for answering my query and doing it so fast :) !

This TLB 3 is an all black case.

Well, good thing is that I can pick it up locally, so will save on shipping costs... I am a newcomer to HI-FI so I guess it will be a good addition to my setup which currently is composed of:

• Philips CDC-775 CD player (with S/PDIF output: I would use it for the Little Bit)
  • Kenwood K-6040 tuner
  • Yamaha C-45 preamp
  • Yamaha MX-50 power amp
  • AR Labs Mini Reference

I know it is a low budget setup, but it sounds fine so far :)

Do you think the Little Bit 3 will improve the CD sound?

Thanks and best regards,

JOSE

Oops, I did not use the current ratio... 130 Euro is about 103 GBP at current exchange rate. Sorry for the error!!!

Is it still a good enough price?

Regards,

JOSE

TLB3's sold for £350 when new.

The final version case work was black fronts with silver envelopes so yours is a late version, but as I said the electronics never changed.

A unit you would be completely satisfied with would be the Enlightenment Dac DX32 which vary in price from £190 to £300 subject to demand. They sell for less in Germany.

The Edac offers the Deltran facility which makes a significant difference to a " deltraned " player. The TLB3 does not offer this feature.

The TLB3 is an entry level high end dac better than more costly rivals.

Tom

Hello Tom,

TLB3's sold for £350 when new.

The final version case work was black fronts with silver envelopes so yours is a late version, but as I said the electronics never changed.

A unit you would be completely satisfied with would be the Enlightenment Dac DX32 which vary in price from £190 to £300 subject to demand. They sell for less in Germany.

The Edac offers the Deltran facility which makes a significant difference to a " deltraned " player. The TLB3 does not offer this feature.

The TLB3 is an entry level high end dac better than more costly rivals.

Tom

OK, thanks for the info.

Well, my question is: if I use a NON-deltraned player, as my Philips CDC-775 or my Pioneer PD-104 with the TLB3, would it make a reasonable difference to justify the 130 Euro cost?. Because I am sure a DX-32 will be better but if not deltraned perhaps difference is not so big and I can save some money by now.

Sorry for so many questions!

Regards,

JOSE

Hello!

I have an small update... I finally got the DPA Little Bit 3 for 110 Euro (about 87.40 GBP) :D:D

It is really mint, with the original carton, plastic bag, instructions and cables. I have talked with the seller (a very nice person) for some time and he has told me he bought it about 1996 in UK, used it for two years and then stored the unit... until today :) !

I will take some pictures later.

Regards and thanks for your help!

JOSE

Well the TLB3 will make a difference, but the more detailed your system the more noticeable the difference.

When you look inside the dac as I am sure you will, you will realise the true design skills of Rob Watts.

If you ever need a spare for the YAC502 drop me a line as my supplies are plentiful, you just pay the postage.

Tom
[email protected]

Regarding the above poster by the name of Tom (Tom Whelan)
I asked Tom Whelan to repair a DPA 1024DAC. It was never returned. I asked a solicitor to help me but as I am located in Tokyo is not easy to retrieve.

Is this the dac I sent you in September 1999, that you sent back to me a little while later?

Even though I was no longer an employee of your company and therefore under no obligation to do anything?

When you froze the company bank account in April 1999 you rendered the company dead in the water and as a direct result of that I went without pay for 4 months. Starvation and dedication to the job make poor bed fellows.

Watts regarded you as a madman, as do I. But you were also the Managing Director of what was DPA Digital.

yeh my money is on the guys with the track record of great customer service and developing ground breaking designs.

Not some invisible management numpty

hello. i've bought DPA T1 with PDM 2 few years ago. it was working perfectly fine until last year. the T1 started to become temperamental. it would not play the cd on instant loading. for some unknown reason i had to play TOni Braxton's greatest hit cd for 30 seconds (weird huh!). eject the cd and then load the cd i intend to listen. only by this way it would play. that worked for about 6 months. now it has completely stop to play cd. i can hear the cd turning for few seconds but nothing happened. i've contacted Chevin audio, but they say that it can't be repaired. is this true? i prefer to have it repaired rather than hunt for anew transport. thanks

Ajean - to be honest I'd hunt for a new transport. I've used lots of players with DPA Dacs and to be honest the T1 was not as good as many. The E-Transport was good. In fact if I recall the T1 was a Marantz CD 52 with a little modification, recased. Open up the heavy case for a surprise (!). I'd either find a dedicated Transport or preferably have another player "deltraned" by Colin and use that. To help you decide I'd try to borrow a couple of players with digital out and try them with your DAC - I think you may be surprised. Mr Watts beleived that 80% of the sound was the DAC, 20% the transport. I found it so.

thank you NeilK for your reply. in that case, i'm going to be looking for a new transport. have you got any suggestion for replacement of T1. my budget is abit tight at the moment. i'm thinking of around £150-£200. i've seen an advert for philips cd850 for £85.

by pure luck i've bought myself a second hand marantz cd63 se recently. i'm interested to know about this deltran modification. is it possible to do it on this cd player? how much would it cost and is it worth it? much appreciate any advise/opinion on this matter. thanks Azrin

advertisement

Back