advertisement

Help - speaker fuse holder for Arcam Alpha amp

Cdb3

pfm Member
I recently acquired an old Arcam Alpha amp (MK1 I believe) for my daughter. It was supposed to be working but there was only sound from one channel. I have established that the problem is with one of the holders for the 20mm 2A speaker fuses, accessed externally from the back panel of the unit. The fuse holder should look like this:
38251555102_340cdf2074.jpg
[/IMG]
38251555102_340cdf2074.jpg

The second fuse holder doesn't have the two metal clips that are necessary to lock in the fuse and presumably provide a contact.

I have emailed Arcam and had no reply, been to Maplin and looked online, but so far cannot identify a source for one of these. I guess it will be necessary to buy a complete fuse holder i.e. with the barrel into which the fuse is locked, but where I can see possibilities online there are not images showing the two parts disconnected (and many of the sellers anyhow seem to be wholesalers).

I would be very grateful for any advice on a source for this small but essential part.

Thanks
Clive

Unusual as it looks like a push-fit into the panel rather than one using a lock-nut.
Whatever, fuse-holders are spec'd by the physical size of the fuse that they hold. I have not checked, but beyond that, I suspect that they are very likely to fit the same panel cut-out for any given fusible link size.
So, you should just need any panel-mount fuse-holder for whatever size fuse you have. Should cost pennies.

Just a thought - where are the two wires that should be attached to the missing tags on the other fuse-holder?

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I wasn’t clear that this is just half of the fuse holder - the rest is fixed into the back panel of the amp. So the two tags in the photo slot into the other half of the holder in the amp - the tags provide a locking mechanism as well as the contact. I’m trying to avoid getting a complete replacement fuse holder which would have to be soldered into the amp.

I hope I have understood your comments and this is clear.
Clive

It doesn't look familiar, can you post a pic of the complete holder on the back of the amplifier, someone is bound to know, might be a good idea to remove it and measure and examine the mounting hole for possible replacement.

OK, thanks. Here's some more photos of the amp itself. As you can see, I hope, the fixed part of the fuse holder is directly attached to the circuit board and I don't see how it could be removed. The photo of the inside of the fixed part of the fuse holder shows the metal ring to which the two tags on the original photo lock on to.The first photo shows the speaker connections at the back of the amp. The fuse on the right of the speaker connections is in place and working. I was hoping this was a current form of fuse holder so that I could just buy one and use half of it. Of course the person who sold it to me is no longer answering correspondence so I think this may be a wasted £30!
Clive
38272572742_dc0a555883.jpg

37588348734_9b15fbc9e9.jpg

38272570252_37d894b85c.jpg

OK, thanks. Here's some more photos of the amp itself. As you can see, I hope, the fixed part of the fuse holder is directly attached to the circuit board and I don't see how it could be removed. The photo of the inside of the fixed part of the fuse holder shows the metal ring to which the two tags on the original photo lock on to.The first photo shows the speaker connections at the back of the amp. The fuse on the right of the speaker connections is in place and working. I was hoping this was a current form of fuse holder so that I could just buy one and use half of it. Of course the person who sold it to me is no longer answering correspondence so I think this may be a wasted £30!
Clive
38272572742_dc0a555883.jpg

37588348734_9b15fbc9e9.jpg

38272570252_37d894b85c.jpg

Have a look at this link - http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...c_smalldimension/pc_fuse_holders/fbi_fbm.html
Looks very similar with that flat bottom edge and single key-way for the fuse carrier on the main housing.
Perhaps you can check the dimensions on the data sheet.

Dave.

Many thanks for those links, Dave. That looks like what I need and the dimensions look correct. I found a cheaper supplier at around £5.00 but then delivery is £15! I have heard back from Arcam and they recommend RS as a supplier who seem to be able to supply them on back order - similar price as eBay but for a pack of 5!
Clive

Hi Clive.

When I googled I found on Farnell's site but only listed in the US, so as you say £5> + £15 delivery + wait!
Might be worth having a chat direct with Eaton as the fuse carrier is used in several different versions.

Best of luck.
Dave.

Removal is simple enough (sort of) just desolder from the PCB.

If you Google - UK pcb-mount fuse-holder, image search, you'll get loads of hits - flick through those (although I have to say that probable matches seem to be with RS).

Removal is simple enough (sort of) just desolder from the PCB.

If you Google - UK pcb-mount fuse-holder, image search, you'll get loads of hits - flick through those (although I have to say that probable matches seem to be with RS).

Thanks, but I’m hoping to avoid any soldering as my skills are minimal!

Hi Clive.

When I googled I found on Farnell's site but only listed in the US, so as you say £5> + £15 delivery + wait!
Might be worth having a chat direct with Eaton as the fuse carrier is used in several different versions.

Best of luck.
Dave.
Thanks, again, Dave. It looks as if RS could be a source and I may visit their Watford branch.
Clive

Many thanks again for advice on this. I managed to get what I needed and a spare from Farnell’s UK site for about £7 - half of which was a handling charge as I didn’t have a trade account. So not too bad and the amp worked straightaway on both channels.
Clive

advertisement

Back