advertisement

Help from an Admin please.

pauly99

pfm Member
Hi,

I have had a look in the FAQ but I'm stuck.

Is it possible to print an entire Thread on PFM? I am subscribed to a large thread over 2 parts and getting across all the info in there is difficult.

I would like to print the entire thread so I can read it all over a few evenings at home and make notes etc. But you only seem to be able to print 1 page at a time.

many thanks for any help.
cheers,
Paul.

thanks but that is the same as printing one page at a time, no good. There are tons of pages.
be good if you could download a whole thread in txt or pdf or something...

p.

You can copy an entire page at a time and paste that into word, slightly less work but why would you want to print off an entire thread?

thanks but that is the same as printing one page at a time, no good. There are tons of pages.
be good if you could download a whole thread in txt or pdf or something...

I've yet to find a neat way of doing this with vBulletin (or for that matter it's competitors). In the very few occasions I need to do this I just print the thread page by page to .pdf files, which could then be merged into one big pdf file if required. You'd need additional software to do this on a PC though.

You can copy an entire page at a time and paste that into word, slightly less work but why would you want to print off an entire thread?

I'm on a thread that is massive , 44 pages only in part 1 !:)
The "main guy" on there is sick of answering the same questions over and over as the years go by. He's a little bit trollish at times but then again he has a point. He made an index to posts but searching PFM is a nightmare IMO as you have to wait 30 secs b/w searches! ( wtf ?) and I can't find a JUMP TO POST #??? tool in the menus on pfm! so finding answers through this guys index is a freaking JOKE. If anyone knows how to jump to a post number please tell me. thks.

I'd rather print it all , read and mark it with notes etc.

Either that or I think PFM should upgrade it's engine and tools.

more next post,
chs,
thanks,
Paul.

If you're on a posix-compliant system (e.g. Mac or other UNIX) then open a terminal window and type this:

curl "http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=119255&page=[1-44]" > wholethread.html

Now open the file you have made ('wholethread.html') in your browser. Most browsers will helpfully overlook the fact that the resulting document is actually several documents in series. That way your printed thread should even contain photos if they have absolute URI's. That basically means you will only see images hosted outside pfm, sadly, but it's better than nothing. This trick should work pretty well, perhaps with minor modifications, for most fora, not just ones which have an archive feature.

With minor modification (i.e. the addition of a base tag), you can even have the file show all images. The line to insert into the first <head> section of wholethread.html would be...

<base href="http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/" target="_blank" />

There, now you have the whole thread printable with all images.

P.S. I should have pointed out that you need to get the numbers right in that curl uri. t is the thread number, obviously, and the square brackets contain the page range, obviously. Manipulate those numbers at will.

If you're on a posix-compliant system (e.g. Mac or other UNIX) then open a terminal window and type this:

SONDDEK! WOW:) give that man a box cigars, no, the factory!

thats fantastic. I even did the <base href= > hack and it works perfect.
The whole thread in one file , readable, searchable, in perfect knick with pics just like reading on the forum etc.

thankyou very much:)

-pauly-

That is very neat!

Yes.

Just wish you had followed my advice on the needledrop issue. You would have saved time for you and others, and achieved the purge reversibly, which would have been of great benefit when you cease to kou tou at the feet of the googlefuhrer ;-) A lot of great information was lost forever that day.

advertisement

Back