advertisement

Help: Anyone out there with a decent pillar drill?

John_73

pfm Member
Hi folks.

Request for help.

Has anybody out there got a decent quality pillar drill setup and experience using it to drill different materials? I have an ABS plastic box which I need three holes accurately & neatly drilled into the lid for, and I think the Q-Max hole punches I own might end up splitting the plastic. The holes needed are one pair of 28mm diameter openings, and a single 15mm diameter one.

Name your price! :)

Cheers,

John.

Thanks for the offer David. I’m based in Basingstoke alas, and unable to travel far due to health issues, so would have to send the piece off.

Warwickshire is probably no closer for you but again you are welcome, let me check I've got a 28mm suitable bit first.

Defo forget the Q-max.................
Buy a cheap pillar stand for a hand electric drill.
Cover the areas to be drilled in either paper/masking tape or sticky paper labels, mark the centres and pilot drill with a 1 or 2mm drill. From there use a 10mm or so drill, and then use a taper cutter.
Practise on some ply or suchlike if not confident enough from scratch.

A saw drill would be my choice, just make sure the ABS has something solid behind it and is clamped to the backing.

ABS is very tough and flexible and will not split or shatter like some brittle plastics.
If the box is actually ABS then your Q-Max hole cutters should be fine and preferable to drilling. A hole saw is a better tool for this task than a drill in my experience.
I have cut hundreds if not thousands of such holes in ABS, this way after vacuum forming the cases.
If you decide to drill it, as russel says, then the area you are working on must be fully supported and unable to move. Drill very slowly especially when you get near to the point of breakthrough to avoid any snatching or lifting of the material.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

After mulling over the comments I’m going to order a hole saw and arbor and touch wood - or abs! - that should do the trick.

John,

I occasionally work from the office in Basingstoke (Redwood).

I have a Mill so should be able to drill the holes you need.

Not sure if i'm due another visit before Christmas.

Let me know if you want my help.

Thanks very much Mark, appreciate the offer. I’ll see how I go, but may well be in touch. Thanks again.

advertisement

Back