advertisement

Heinz Wolff RIP

Yes, sad to hear this, but he reached a pretty good age. I loved pretty much anything he was involved in on TV in the seventies. He looked, and sounded, like the archetypal mad scientist. My mental picture of Professor Branestawm is pretty much Heinz Wolff.

Heinz summed up my old University, make it happen Applied Science with wit & humour. He will be sadly missed and fondly remembered.

A charming gentleman with a with real skill in communicating complex ideas in an interesting way to a young audience; I too loved the Great Egg race.
Drood - thanks so much for finding that vid :)

I had the pleasure of knowing Heinz Wolff a little when he worked at the CRC Northwick Park hospital back in the mid 80’s. He was kind enough to help me with career advice and a lot of titbits on working in science. An inspirational man, great scientist and communicator.

RIP Heinz. I used to love GER, I watched it with my Dad and during/after the show I remember building stuff to do similar things. The first show was indeed egg racing, they were building little cars powered by rubber bands. Great popular science show, with real people on rather than celebs. I wish we had similar today with Nissan UK sending a bunch of engineers to build an electric stairs climber out of bamboo and string.

Ditto here, but with lego and rubber bands, though my Meccano/ innertube satsuma-launching seige-machine-thingummy was particularly unpopular with Mum after it (from my POV) satisfactorily recoloured a lounge wall. Oops.

advertisement

Back