advertisement

Heed Elixir Integrated Amp

ArtK

Lovin’ life!
Anyone here have any experience with this amp. I just took delivery of one and am trying to get a handle on it. Read a review and corresponded with a trusted dealer and they both seemed to think it was head and shoulders better than the Rega Brio-R. I am less convinced. Still running it in however....

Hi Art, unfortunately I have yet to hear the Elixir, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of chatter on it either. I always have liked Heed gear, the little Obelisk integrated was a very good little unit.

As to the Elixir being head and shoulders above the Brio is an interesting comment, the Brio is a very fine little amp. Maybe a bit of over-enthusiasm from the dealer? You have both, so you are in the best position to find out!

On another Heed note, shame there isn't much chatter on the Thesis line, but it is quite a bit more expensive too. Hope all is well with you Art!

Thank you, Tim. All is well for now. So far the Heed sounds a bit thin and harsh. Probably 30 hrs or so on it.

...and to be fair this dealer very much likes Rega and says so. He doesn't carry many brands and so he really has to like the product to carry it.

Art, does your dealer carry the Obelisk line too, or just the Elixir? Not many Heed dealers I don't think. Have spoken with Bob at Profundo and Dan at Blackbird Audio on a few occasions, both great guys.

...Have spoken with Bob at Profundo and Dan at Blackbird Audio on a few occasions, both great guys.

perhaps, but i've emailed profundo serval time about updating my obelisk da with the dactil 2.1 dac card, and never got a response.

Gordon, sorry about that, I cannot comment other than it is generally easier to get in touch via phone. Email can sometimes go to junk folder etc. for whatever reason, not making excuses for Bob, but I haven't had such issues myself. He has always gotten right back to me, and I have yet to buy anything from either Bob or Dan.

Not sure where you are located or who your dealer may be, but you might try the phone!

Art, does your dealer carry the Obelisk line too, or just the Elixir? Not many Heed dealers I don't think. Have spoken with Bob at Profundo and Dan at Blackbird Audio on a few occasions, both great guys.

Yeah. Until you have a problem. Then they're nasty pricks.

I wouldn't touch anything from Profundo with a ten foot pole.

He carries both. I have an Obelisk on the way to audition. I think it may be more to my liking than the Elixir.

Good Art, will be interested in your take on the Obelisk!

Jodet, no comment really, no experience on my part yet.

Very good Art. I do wonder what the differences are even internally between the Elixir and Obelisk.

Art,

My initial impression of the Elixir matches yours. After a few months it has settled in but is still not as smooth as a Sonneteer amp (for example). The current Obelisk Si Mk III has a different sonic signature than the original Obelisk, with more (better?) bass extension and midrange authority. I suspect that you may prefer the Obelisk to the Elixir.

Fred, I too liked the Obelisk Mk 3, but I haven't compared it to the earlier model. I had wanted to try the PM mono amps too, but never did get a chance to do so.

The more hrs I put on the Elixir the better it is. Very much looking forward to trying the Obelisk 3. I have a white one with phono card on the way. Should arrive next Wednesday and be connected on the weekend.

Yesterday evening the Elixir really started to improve and as of today it's really hitting it's stride. It really is an extraordinary bargain...and yes it is markedly better than the Brio-R. I don't say that lightly as I really do enjoy the Brio-R and own one. The Elixir brings better clarity, tone, pacing and authority. It's just better...

If the Obelisk is better than this then I am in for a treat!

advertisement

Back