advertisement

Heat Shrink...????

I've always used a gas cigartte lighter, seems to work, but you have to keep it well above the actual flame or it can blacken it.

Heat gun here too - lots of other uses too, from reshaping RC car bodies to stripping old paint off wood to heat cycling metal bolts or joints that are rusted together. Mine was 10 or 20 quid here in CH from memory 15ish years ago - a really good investment IMO.

I stroke it quickly with the tip of a hot soldering iron. (Ooer missus).
Shrinks immediately and no damage.

I once was caught shrinking with my soldering iron when i worked on prototype PCBs in my youth. I wasn't immediately dismissed but it was close! Hot air gun is ideal, but a decent hairdryer works ok on the lighter stuff. The MoD used some with a sort of goop inside that formed a waterproof seal and enabled us to create Y joints in looms, and that stuff needed to be heated hot enough to burn your hands quite badly (guess how I found that out) but military pink PTFE cable was pretty much heat proof... but never open flame or s soldering iron bit - (yes both work fine...)!!!

I've ordered one of those flameless heat guns from Amazon; it will be interesting to see if it is safe to use in tight spaces!

I've ordered one of those flameless heat guns from Amazon; it will be interesting to see if it is safe to use in tight spaces!
It arrived today, and the criticism about filling it is about right. Liquid gas everywhere! But it works, although you have to be very close, almost touching, to shrink anything. But inside an amp it may come in handy.

It arrived today, and the criticism about filling it is about right. Liquid gas everywhere! But it works, although you have to be very close, almost touching, to shrink anything. But inside an amp it may come in handy.

I have the matching blowtorch/lighter too, and same issue. It works very well at what it does, but refilling is done outside and its left to 'air' for a bit before use...

advertisement

Back