1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Heat Shrink...????

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by madmike, Mar 20, 2017.

1. madmike

madmike pfm Member

What do you use to apply heat...a hairdryer ????

2. bravem01

bravem01 New Member

I use the side of a hot soldering iron bit (not the tip)

3. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

Same here, I use the lower part of my soldering iron tip. Make sure it's clean first. I sometimes use one of those long lighters with an adjustable flame.

4. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 Expert in sheep worrying.

I use the side of my soldering iron, just held close, no direct contact.

5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

A hair-dryer won't get near hot enough.
    It depends on the size and what you are sleeving. If you can rotate the item being sleeved, and hold it several inches above a cooker ring, that will produce a better finish more quickly and more easily than using a soldering-iron.

6. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

The soldering iron method is quite good for one or two applications but if you have much heatshrinking to do a heat gun is preferable. Proper ones are quite expensive but I have used a Black & Decker paint stripping gun for many years now, normally on the lower setting.
    I haven`t tried a hairdryer but I suspect it wouldn`t be hot enough, also difficult to direct the heat only to where it is needed.

7. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 Expert in sheep worrying.

I have a hot air station which works brilliantly but if the iron is already heated up and I only have a couple of items to do then I use my iron. I also have an Iroda Pro gas iron (well three of them actually) with blow torch and hot air attachments which are easily the best tool for the job. They have proven invaluable over the years for field work both on PA systems and Auto installs.

8. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

9. Retro

Retro pfm Member

By far the best thing I have ever used for heat shrink is a cheap electric hot air paint stripper. They start from about £12 new, but I paid £4 for mine second hand. i'm sure it would be pretty crap for its designed purpose, but offers fast heat up and very hot air. Works a treat.

10. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Hot air gun. Or a lighter in an emergency. I have reels of the stuff, up to 2" dia, and an adjustable hot air gun is the only sensible method.

11. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Heat gun is awesome, but usually I use a gas soldering iron and the exhaust on the side is perfect in most occasions.

Your Weller gun looks great Pete!

12. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

Just after putting some of this onto the wiring loom of an old motorbike. Got a box of assorted diameter sheaths from the local motor-factors. Looks to be a fairly basic rubber compound - no fancy braiding or suchlike. It ss marked '125 deg C'. A hair-dryer worked perfectly on it.

13. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Hold it over an open gas flame on your cooker if you have one, works a treat for me, takes a few seconds to shrink.

14. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

A hot air gun does work very well.

15. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Anyone up for a loan of my 2 belden home made cables.

Have a 5m extension lead too, fitted with iec.

will happily post them out to anyone who wishes to give them a go, just pay return postage.

Maybe the op would be interested, he seemed curious.

16. guydarryl

guydarryl Active Member

I have used a hair drier, works well.

17. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

A bit tricky when you have all this to do.
    [​IMG]

18. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Would be best avoided :)

Great for cables though.

19. happychappy

happychappy Happy Member

Late to the thread, but another vote for a paint stripper/heat gun.

Nothing like the satisfaction of watching the heat shrink reducing in size over a good joint. (Solder not the, err, other type)

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Heat gun here too. Great for getting certain types of sticky labels off LP sleeves too!