advertisement

Half speed mastering

Interesting article on half speed mastering here

"One of these tapes had been played on a faulty machine that actually damaged it and left clicks all over it, so I went in and took out all the problems that had been created, which you couldn’t do cutting live from the tape. The only way you can fix that is digitally, and it’s next to invisible mending."

"One of these tapes had been played on a faulty machine that actually damaged it and left clicks all over it, so I went in and took out all the problems that had been created, which you couldn’t do cutting live from the tape. The only way you can fix that is digitally, and it’s next to invisible mending."

If only artists would embrace such, then we could do away with all those annoying brush strokes and build up of pigments spoiling our appreciation of the finished article.

If only artists would embrace such, then we could do away with all those annoying brush strokes and build up of pigments spoiling our appreciation of the finished article.

Some people feel that artworks damaged by time, wear and vandalism shouldn't be restored, others would like to see them the way they looked when the artist put down the brush. A matter of taste and perspective.

The more relevant point is that even the people doing half speed master records prefer to use digital, and don't feel it compromises the result.

I'm not sure i see the point of this: you make a hi-res192-kHz/24-bit digital version and then cut a vinyl disk?

For people who insist on listening to vinyl. I guess they recording engineers don't want to do any of the processing in a lossy analog domain.

For people who insist on listening to vinyl.

How can people be so blinded when digital is clearly superior. :rolleyes:

Maybe they just enjoy it.:)

Though you can't measure that. So it cannot exist.

I enjoy it so much I spent 5 times as much on my vinyl set up as my digital one.

One of the major drawbacks of human beings, being analogue.

One of the major drawbacks of human beings, being analogue.

Is the human nervous system, being a pulse frequency/density modulated system, analog or digital? :)

In any case, we should remember that analog is precisely what the name implies, an imperfect electrical analogy of the acoustic input.

Cost is also has no correlation of enjoyment.

The fact is though that myself and many others enjoy vinyl, often in favour over digital.

You can analyse all you like but you cannot alter the fact.

Is this really 'half speed mastering', or actually 'half speed cutting'?

I've often thought it might be useful for older (hence not so good ears) mastering engineers to slow the speed down so they can hear the higher frequencies!

advertisement

Back