Guilty pleasures or not?

Do you have musical guilty pleasures?

• No!

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Yes!

Votes: 19 73.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
EST and TGT are far from plinky plonky nonsense, and I can't really see why anybody would think they are a guilty pleasure. I'm a huge fan of both, and very happy to say so!

Do the following count?

The Goons - My September Love
Dua Lipa - Be The One
The Charlie & Lola Theme Tune (extended)
The Wombles - Empty Tidy Bag Blues (in fact, the whole 'SuperWonble' album)
Neil Sedaka - One Way Ticket
ELO - Here Is The News
Flash And The Pan - Waiting For A Train

I'll stop there.

Steve

Guilty of what precisely

I imagine I could fill the entire thread with unfashionable, low brow, unintelligent , non thought provoking musical nonsense I listen to on a daily basis :D

I have no shame or guilt, exactly as it should be where music is concerned.

Best post here - Never understood the term 'guilty pleasures', load of bollocks to me.

Do the following count?

The Goons - My September Love
Dua Lipa - Be The One
The Charlie & Lola Theme Tune (extended)
The Wombles - Empty Tidy Bag Blues (in fact, the whole 'SuperWonble' album)
Neil Sedaka - One Way Ticket
ELO - Here Is The News
Flash And The Pan - Waiting For A Train

I'll stop there.

Steve

The Wombles were great, very under rated.

I will add T'Pau (Bridge of Spies only). Always thought ABBA were fab as well, now much more respected, so don't really count as 'guilty'.

Love Queen, no guilt there!

I've never felt guilty about listening to anything I enjoy, and neither should anyone else.

I'll give you my "Steps Gold" when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Does weird Scandinavian jazz count? Examples such as Esbjorn Svensson Trio & Tord Gustaven Trio.
I can understand why others think it’s plinky-plonky nonsense, but I kinda like it.
Equally, I have never “got” Pink Floyd or Eric Clapton. Leaves me absolutely cold. I’m guessing lots of others would call for me to be burned at the stake.

I love EST.

But my "guilty pleasure" as defined by "what this community might scoff at, screw their noses at, damn it as trivial pop music"? is JB's Purpose.
Such infectious tunes, well produced songs, with strong melodies.

Makes a nice contrast to Mahler. ;)

The Wurzels, anyone?

I once went to one of their gigs. Unsurprisingly, the place was full of young farmers and no veggie option on the BBQ. Still had a good time.

Hmmmmmm

I had this conversation with a markedly junior (aged) work colleague well over 20 years ago - he was guilty/embarrassed about liking Jimmy Nail - I told him then, good music is good music, (also applicable to writing, and much besides) and there is only one judge of that that counts........................ I also like a lot of what JN has done BTW.

Clapton, Dylan, Beatles, Floyd and much stuff besides, in the main - boooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

I feel guilty about precisely none of what I choose to listen to, read, or anything else this side of legality.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back