advertisement

Greenstreeting my LP12

I was wrong about the Greenstreet.

It actually does reach deeper into the LF extremes. I was playing DSOTM last night and the pulse of the opening heartbeat was subterranean, yet textured like I'd never heard before. The Greenstreet brings a sense of musical organisation to another level. I've never had it so good.

I've also ordered a new belt and grommets for my LP12, since they were last changed about 5-6 years ago.

makes me laugh as a few people make copies of naim cases and designed a subchassis that makes the linn not sound like a linn ....but they have the higher ground !!!!
They absolutely have the higher ground. It really should be obvious why.

Paul

so do they have a higher ground inspite of changing a linn into something else or because the linn was not an original design in the first place....to me it has nothing to do with the fact james is happy with his purchase.
linn have copied plenty of designs in the past as have most hi fi companies...it's all just blokey guff on pfm as usual.....flatty's subchassis is a very nice bit of kit but it is designed for a deck that ivor nicked the ideas for....it is hardly important or more moral - jeez hi fi fans are so serious.....

13397815-lg.jpg

Indeed, it is shocking how someone could so brazenly purloin someone else's design.

AristonBottom1972-1.jpg

That is ridiculous to close this thread. The "stakeholders" have made their point about ethics. I would question the ethics of using a manufacturer's forum to peddle your competing products regardless of what permission the moderators of the forum allow.

I say start another thread about the ethics then rather than what the OP was about - the merits of the GS product (whether you approve of GS's ethics or not)

I was wrong about the Greenstreet.

It actually does reach deeper into the LF extremes. I was playing DSOTM last night and the pulse of the opening heartbeat was subterranean, yet textured like I'd never heard before. The Greenstreet brings a sense of musical organisation to another level. I've never had it so good.

I've also ordered a new belt and grommets for my LP12, since they were last changed about 5-6 years ago.

Hi james, I don't have a GS but you are hearing exactly the elements that I hear with the keel:cool: so looks like you'll be a happy camper getting all that vinyl out again to see what else you can hear:)

There would not need to be a clone market if Linn sold the Keel at anything like a fair price for what it is. It might be the most fantastic piece of machined metal ever invented, but it costs more than a standard SME Series V arm, FFS! I can't believe the cost of making one is the same as the cost of making the other.

Ethics, schmethics... these companies are bilking Linn, but Linn is milking us!

I've said for quite a while the truth will out sooner or later. I agree the Keel is far too expensive, but it is very nicely manufactured and finished, though I can't see the "finish" adding to sonic benefit? It does perhaps impart pride of ownership and perhaps bolster brand loyalty. For many Linn partisans the price of the Keel does not appear to be a problem as they have the capital.

For others less affluent, there's now quite a wide range of third party alternatives. No point in banging on about the ethics in my mind as it's a dog eat dog world anyhow. What's done is done, just let the buyer decide where their money is invested.

The market will eventually balance out with some gaining and others losing. I can't see any of this being a problem for customers though, unless they feel short changed in any way.

John R

The GS version is pretty neatly finished too - as I'll testify, Andrew has seen and James has shown from his photos

so do they have a higher ground inspite of changing a linn into something else or because the linn was not an original design in the first place....
They, along with John R, the Cetech chap and some others have the higher ground because they didn't simply copy somebody else's design. I don't see why this is so difficult. The murky history of the LP12 design itself is irrelevant.

Paul

paul r - try and answer my point not just repeat what you already have....how is the history of the linn irrelevant ? you can't have it both ways....

any way don't bother arguing.....
i couldn't care a less....it's only a bloody record player.

I love my GS and I have loved my Funk Firm DC motor and top plate for over 3 years and now have a radikal and Im not really sure which I prefer I will be swaping between the two frequently when I can be messed. I am retiring soon well hoping to be laid off by the council so will have loads of time for music and biking in the dales and lakes brill.

try and answer my point not just repeat what you already have....
I'm not sure what it is other than that Linn is somehow 'asking for it'.

how is the history of the linn irrelevant ?
For the same reason that the history of a rape victim is irrelevant.

Paul

I am curious as to why this surgery was necessary? I have the Keel for Aro on my deck and there is no fouling with the corner brace and there was no need for the surgery you describe.

Br,
Teme

If you drew a straight line where the V cut was made, you will see that the cable clamp around the ARO arm collar is actually clear of an uncut brace, but only just.

As John explained, Greenstreet made the pivot to spindle distance 212.5mm based on their understanding from Naim that that's the correct number. Others have shown this to be slightly wrong, but 212.5mm is still within the 211 +/- 1.5mm spec. I'm happy with the increased distance as the Lyra carts I favour tend to have 8.5-9.5mm mounting distances to stylus tip. I certainly detected no audible tracking distortion with my Lyra Clavis DC.

When it's all said and done, I'm getting a MASSIVE improvement from the GS that make it the best thousand bucks (NZD) I have ever spent on hifi.

Hope James doesn't mind, but I thought it would be worth mentioning that surgery on the corner brace is not necessary on the Linn version of the GS sub-chassis. The Linn version uses the arm collar that is supplied with whatever Linn tonearm you use. The center hole for the arm collar is a tighter fit on the GS sub-chassis than if used with a standard Linn armboard so there is very little slop built-in. I use an Ekos tonearm and Linn MC cartridge, on the underside of the headshell there is a line for aligning the back of the cartridge. Doing so, gets the geometry spot on as you can see.

hpim0024.jpg

Here's a shot of the underside of the Linn version of the Greenstreet sub-chassis.

hpim5900.jpg

As John explained, Greenstreet made the pivot to spindle distance 212.5mm based on their understanding from Naim that that's the correct number. Others have shown this to be slightly wrong, but 212.5mm is still within the 211 +/- 1.5mm spec. I'm happy with the increased distance as the Lyra carts I favour tend to have 8.5-9.5mm mounting distances to stylus tip. I certainly detected no audible tracking distortion with my Lyra Clavis DC.

When it's all said and done, I'm getting a MASSIVE improvement from the GS that make it the best thousand bucks (NZD) I have ever spent on hifi.

Just to clarify here regarding the pivot to spindle distance. A spindle to pivot distance of 211mm would be ideal for a Linn MC cartridge(7mm) and be in spec for any other cartridge with a bolt to stylus tip spec between 5.5mm and 8.5mm.

A spindle to pivot distance of 212.5mm, a spec that Naim recommends would be ideal for a cartridge with a bolt to stylus tip measurement of 8.5mm and would be in spec for any other cartridge with a bolt to stylus tip spec between 7mm and 10mm.

A spindle to pivot distance of 212.5mm, a spec that Naim recommends would be ideal for a cartridge with a bolt to stylus tip measurement of 8.5mm and would be in spec for any other cartridge with a bolt to stylus tip spec between 7mm and 10mm.
That covers just about every cart Lyra, my preferred transducer, makes. Thanks, John.

I have also made this fabulous GS subchassis upgrade + the GS Armageddon...
Definitely, it's a must have at a bargain price that will resurrect this old lady LP12!

advertisement

Back