advertisement

Greenstreeting my LP12

The only real surgery required was to cut a small relief in the plinth bracing at the arm corner to avoid fouling.

I am curious as to why this surgery was necessary? I have the Keel for Aro on my deck and there is no fouling with the corner brace and there was no need for the surgery you describe.

Br,
Teme

I am curious as to why this surgery was necessary? I have the Keel for Aro on my deck and there is no fouling with the corner brace and there was no need for the surgery you describe.

Br,
Teme

aroarmdata.jpg

http://www.greenstreetaudio.com/pages/Aro-Alert.html

I gather that Greenstreet Audio uses more like a 212.5 mm pivot to spindle distance. This might be better for James or other folks who use non-Linn phono cartridges where the cartridge bolt to stylus tip is likely greater. Keep in mind, the Aro headshell offers no adjustment for overhang.

No, we're discussing the LP12. It's hardly a Linn original.

Exactly, i don't think a company with a background in 'borrowing design' can ever have cause to complain when it happens to them. What goes around invariably comes around.

OK, here goes.

1. I have fitted a Klone and it's substantially better than the steel subchassis, I mean loads better. If you have only £600..........its a good choice.
2. Two wrongs don't make a right, to those who accuse Linn of copying then the Klone is just as bad.

OK, here goes.

2. Two wrongs don't make a right, to those who accuse Linn of copying then the Klone is just as bad.

Precisely.

Plus, this is a reference to something that happened nigh on forty years ago. I'm not aware that industrial espionage is part of Linn's current business model.

OK, here goes.

1. I have fitted a Klone and it's substantially better than the steel subchassis, I mean loads better. If you have only £600..........its a good choice.

....and in all fairness, noone has actually heard Linn's side of the story in the great "Linn Stole The LP-12 Design" have they?

I'd imagine if you want to save £1400, and aren't bothered with the morality thing and missing logo then it's a brilliant choice. Other options of course exist which can save you money compared to a Keel and involve no such moral maze issues.

Some might even out perform it, if you believe such a thing possible. ;-0

I wish I had one dollar for every internet forum post that claimed This Weeks New Thing Beats All That Came Before. Christ, I'd be drowning in cash.

If you drew a straight line where the V cut was made, you will see that the cable clamp around the ARO arm collar is actually clear of an uncut brace, but only just.

13397817-lg.jpg

As John explained, Greenstreet made the pivot to spindle distance 212.5mm based on their understanding from Naim that that's the correct number. Others have shown this to be slightly wrong, but 212.5mm is still within the 211 +/- 1.5mm spec. I'm happy with the increased distance as the Lyra carts I favour tend to have 8.5-9.5mm mounting distances to stylus tip. I certainly detected no audible tracking distortion with my Lyra Clavis DC.

When it's all said and done, I'm getting a MASSIVE improvement from the GS that make it the best thousand bucks (NZD) I have ever spent on hifi.

Hello Andrew,
I have fitted a Klone and it's substantially better than the steel subchassis, I mean loads better. If you have only £600..........its a good choice.
I was prepared to spend the equivalent of £600 to see what the fuss is about. But hearing what it does, I can see it's exceptional value for money. Maybe the Keel is worth the asking price, maybe it's not. The next time I have a spare £2,000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'll be sure to give Linn a call. How's that?

I'd imagine if you want to save £1400, and aren't bothered with the morality thing and missing logo then it's a brilliant choice. Other options of course exist which can save you money compared to a Keel and involve no such moral maze issues.

You have to bear in mind also that Linn's pricing policy does rather open the floodgates for competitors. Take the Rubikon for example which is a more complex (and from what I have seen a more complex engineered) solution which is offered at half the price of the Keel.

Whilst many will cite great cost in development, the actual keel solution is a fairly basic structure; it is one piece, it is the same weight as a steel chassis, and it uses a conventional system of pockets to maintain rigidity. It hardly constitutes any significant form of engineering, the GS is merely a similar (but not as well finished) component at a vastly lower cost. If Linn priced the Keel at £1100 I doubt people would bother with a klone, or indeed a Rubikon.

Hello Andrew,

I was prepared to spend the equivalent of £600 to see what the fuss is about. But hearing what it does, I can see it's exceptional value for money. Maybe the Keel is worth the asking price, maybe it's not. The next time I have a spare £2,000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'll be sure to give Linn a call. How's that?

James.

Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I really think the Klone sounds loads better than the steel one. VFM at £600 is sky high.
Ethics aside it's a fine thing!

Andrew.

Many years ago I remember ivor saying aluminium was "totally unsuitable" for the subchassis.Then again the motors wouldn't do 45 either......lol

Nice to see a decent choice now though.

Paul.

If you drew a straight line where the V cut was made, you will see that the cable clamp around the ARO arm collar is actually clear of an uncut brace, but only just.

As John explained, Greenstreet made the pivot to spindle distance 212.5mm based on their understanding from Naim that that's the correct number. Others have shown this to be slightly wrong, but 212.5mm is still within the 211 +/- 1.5mm spec. I'm happy with the increased distance as the Lyra carts I favour tend to have 8.5-9.5mm mounting distances to stylus tip. I certainly detected no audible tracking distortion with my Lyra Clavis DC.

When it's all said and done, I'm getting a MASSIVE improvement from the GS that make it the best thousand bucks (NZD) I have ever spent on hifi.

Ok. I'm happy to hear you are pleased with the upgrade.

By the way, I found this (click to open link) older thread as well.

Br,
Teme

Ethics aside it's a fine thing!
You obviously consider it unethical for Greenstreet to make and offer their clone for sale. Why? Is it too close a copy of the Keel? Have you compared the two?

Let's take this argument a few steps further. Do you have issue with LP12 belts for sale on eBay that are clearly not made by Linn, but are in fact very good copies and just as fit for purpose? How about copies of plinths made from exotic timbers not offered by Linn? Would you label those who bought these items as unethical?

What makes the Rubikon more 'original'? It's cut from aluminium, uses exactly the same geometry, and competes with the Keel. It is more ethical because it looks different, even though it does the same thing?

If Linn is as bothered about the sub-chassis business as some of you obviously are, they would have taken legal action and closed Greenstreet down by now.

Here in the US the Greenstreet at $875 works out to be one-forth the price of a Keel when you include the sales tax you would have to pay for the Linn.

James.

I'm one of the few to have fitted a Klone and seen a Keel in the flesh.

I speak from experience but I don't want a fight.

Enjoy the GS.

Andrew.

My original "bingo" post was a reference to a personal bet that within 3 posts someone would say the fitting of this item was in some way unethical. Tough shit kids this is how the global world works now live with it or die. Your whining is truly pathetic. Fail faster, innovate and keep ahead.

advertisement

Back