1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Gove takes a kicking.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cooky1257, Jan 12, 2011.

1. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12171281

The Education Secretary has reformed the school league tables system and introduced a new English Baccalaureate.

The government says it is empowering parental choice by informing them of school standards in a core number of subject areas.

2. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

This thread disappoints :(

3. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Never mind. Try starting one that doesn't.

4. Still

Still gyldengourd

5. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

No I meant that Gove didn't literally get a kicking, hence the smiley, was not having a snipe or anything like that.

6. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Ah, but you posted a saddy.
    Well it wasn't quite a Belgrano moment but I thought the caller had him tbh.
    His points about Gove's narrow agenda for factory schooling/what is important and the detriment of the arts had him on the hop.

7. Jo Sharp

Jo Sharp Pulls on doors marked push

just to add to your disappoinment:

Lord Adonis backs Gove rather than Ed Balls:

Article in the Spectator.

8. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Cooky,
    Dave will have to make a number of human sacrifices to placate the public over time and I think this duck billed platypus will be the first. When he and the Clegg can even sideline Cable for a black shirt like Chunt, you can see the way things are going.

9. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Cable has side-lined himself by saying silly things trying to impress totty.

10. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

Put him in your crosshairs - and wind the nutters up.

11. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Probably the least appropriate title ever bestowed.

12. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

Chaps

That wasn't a kicking. It wasn't even a tickling with a feather duster.

Gove is doing a damn good job and is beginning to make progress.

He strongest trait is that he knows what he wants and he ignores what the overbloated teaching establishment want. He is pushing agendas through without consultation and that is scaring the living daylights out of the old doderers in the system. We are getting back to basics and about time too.

He is a breath of fresh air and I like him.

Regards

Mick

13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

When even the High Master at Manchester Grammar school, one of the best performing independent schools in the country says he is wrong, his days are numbered.

14. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

Bob

You were writing Vince Cable off just before Christmas and he is still around.

The simple fact is that Gove is doing what most parents want and that unfortunately means sticking two fingers up to the educational establishment.

He is not changing the old guard, he is sacking them via budget cuts.

Regard

Mick

15. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

16. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

young mr Parry,

Gove is the most arrogant, pompous of all of them (& Im hardly surprised you do quite like him!!). He was given the once over by a caller with -far- more sense than his pathetic backward-thinking, old-fashioned tory education policy notes tell him to say. Not a kicking, but t'was undeniably clear he made the pompous arse pretty uncomfortable indeed.

rgds, Capt.

17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I once saw Andrew Neill take Gove's "humble background" claims apart at a Tory party conference. It was embarrassing.

18. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

Are you suggesting that there isn't a problem if only 15.6% pass GSCEs in Maths/English/Science/Another language/History or Geography?

That would seem to me to be a significant undershoot on the potential of children.

Paul

19. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

Yes but Gove is the smuggest little shit of them all.

20. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

The issue is the narrow choice of 4 subjects as a new measure of how good a school is.
    Why Geography, why not DT(or whatever new name it goes under these days) or Art and Design, Music etc etc etc?
    Maths, English, a Science are a given btw.