advertisement

Google Greggs

That was an elegant recovery from Greggs. I look forward to the tweet of Google's reward. I like Greggs the people working at the Lockerbie branch are really helpful and polite and they do a roaring trade.

I love me a Greggs steak bake, sausage roll and cheese twist.

About 8 years ago I lived on Greggs (or Bakers Oven as they were then) for lunch every day at work. It used to consist of a steak bake, two sausage rolls, a cheese twist and a bottle of Dr Pepper. Well I nearly hit 14 stone as a result.

So one day I caught my profile in shadow and was reminded of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I'm one of those folks that weight only ever goes on in one place. So I just switched to drinking tea and bought their chicken salad sandwiches instead. Lost a stone in just over a month.

Been around the 12 and a half stone limit ever since and Greggs is a treat every now and then. Currently on a five week cut back to lose around 5-6 pounds in preparation for my three week Canada trip where I have £2000 to spend on just steaks, burgers, root beer, real beer and wine.

I managed to put on 10lbs in three weeks last time.

goodness, that's a lot of fat and carbs... Moderation and knowing what your needs are is important.

As long as you realise your days calories are 2300 ish for a normal human (I get by on 1600 but I am very very very lazy with an occasional takeout meal to bump up and then slowly go back to 68kg) then you ought to be fine. a black coffee and a cookie is my treat. 375 cals for the cookie and 5 for the black coffee. so some fruit and salad and coconut milk and tea maybe a nakd bar and I am in my zone.

You just need to know the nutritional value of the pie you are stuffing into yo pie and keep it under control. I tried 65kg but I felt too bony.

That said the lighter you are the heavier most foods feel when you do eat out. That cookie was ginormous!

After spending a couple of weeks on holiday driving around France this summer and never failing to be impressed at any boulangerie I entered, I really would hate to see French tourists do the same here and have the misfortune to enter a Greggs.

goodness, that's a lot of fat and carbs... Moderation and knowing what your needs are is important.

As long as you realise your days calories are 2300 ish for a normal human (I get by on 1600 but I am very very very lazy with an occasional takeout meal to bump up and then slowly go back to 68kg) then you ought to be fine. a black coffee and a cookie is my treat. 375 cals for the cookie and 5 for the black coffee. so some fruit and salad and coconut milk and tea maybe a nakd bar and I am in my zone.

You just need to know the nutritional value of the pie you are stuffing into yo pie and keep it under control. I tried 65kg but I felt too bony.

That said the lighter you are the heavier most foods feel when you do eat out. That cookie was ginormous!

Calories? That's girls talk.:D

The simple way for men to lose weight and diet?

1. Just eat less of the stuff you really really enjoy.

2. (optional) Eat a little more of the stuff you don't enjoy so much.

After spending a couple of weeks on holiday driving around France this summer and never failing to be impressed at any boulangerie I entered, I really would hate to see French tourists do the same here and have the misfortune to enter a Greggs.

Well needs must or you go without.

Cue sounds of certain PFM'ers going "Harrumpphh well I'd rather not eat at all then! blah blah blah"

The French may not go a bundle on Gregg's but having lived in France I can report they have a sufficient supply of cheap tat of their own. I can also report that I have yet to meet a Frenchman who doesn't appreciate the English breakfast in all its glory or some proper fish and chips. They are especially taken by mushy peas, strangely enough. The malt vinegar receives less universal approval.

Calories? That's girls talk.:D

The simple way for men to lose weight and diet?

1. Just eat less of the stuff you really really enjoy.

2. (optional) Eat a little more of the stuff you don't enjoy so much.

Yes, Girls in my opinion are generally more sensible than boys.

1. Yes
2. Yes but draw the line at stuff that is not supposed to be eaten.

The French may not go a bundle on Gregg's but having lived in France I can report they have a sufficient supply of cheap tat of their own. I can also report that I have yet to meet a Frenchman who doesn't appreciate the English breakfast in all its glory or some proper fish and chips. They are especially taken by mushy peas, strangely enough. The malt vinegar receives less universal approval.

The French that I know love the following in England:

1) Fish, chips and mushy peas. Agreed re. vinegar.

2) The cooked breakfast. For baked beans see vinegar above.

3) Curry. They begin mild and move up. Slowly.

The French equivalent of Greggs is

http://www.lamiecaline.com/fr/

The sandwiches, pizza slices and quiches are in a different league to Greggs but they don't do steak bakes or pasties.

Greggs food is really odd, have you ever had a tuna sandwich from there? It tastes sweet. And the hot stuff all tastes exactly the same. All in all its pretty poor.

Greggs take bland to another level but at least the staff are nice if you have no other option, unlikely to be poisoned which I suppose is better than being poisoned if by any chance you still want to live (you are after all buying your lunch in Greggs)

Go into marks and sparks food section around the corner, much better and it tastes of something, it'll probably cost no more, not only that you will have rejected the march into the grey oblivion of mindless nothingness.

Yours

still alive enough to taste things

Mark

Oh marks and sparks rare beef and horseradish sarnies are delish, but around a quid more than a greggs to be fair.

We tend to avoid greggs, the staff can be as nice as they like they are still serving shit.

Gregge put onion I their tuner no so it's a no go for me.

Tuner mayo and five spice is very nice you have to make them yourself.

Pete

I only drink their black coffee and eat their chocolate cookies because they do not change from location to location or day to day, they are an unvarying constant that I can rely on.

advertisement

Back