advertisement

Google Chromecast Audio...bringing smart audio to dumb hifi

It's digi in that it connects to a red light-emitting optical socket on the back of your preferred DAC with an optical input.

You can get a cable like this but a bit cheaper on ebay.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That's a lot of technology for £4. Connecting to an awful lot more technology for £20. This is a world where you can spend £100 and considerably more if you wish on a mains lead.

Retuned to FIP, a Radio France station. It's great.
This Chromecast is a doozy. £20? Get one! I may end up with another yet.

Sorry, but how ... ?

The CCA has no USB port, and no ethernet port.

In case you missed the link in my earlier post, you can hardwire a CCA to your router with >>>this<<< ethernet-to-USB adaptor. That's how mine is connected.

Fwiw, Google make one themselves and you can see it >>>here<<< :cool:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That's a lot of technology for £4. Connecting to an awful lot more technology for £20. This is a world where you can spend £100 and considerably more if you wish on a mains lead.

Just wait until you have a dabble with 40 quid Pi dacs then Steve and hear how they make a mockery of the price tags on other mainstream boxes at 20+ times the price.:)

In case you missed the link in my earlier post, you can hardwire a CCA to your router with >>>this<<< ethernet-to-USB adaptor. That's how mine is connected.

Fwiw, Google make one themselves and you can see it >>>here<<< :cool:

Ah.... the power connector actually has a dual purpose, then.

I've been thinking of that as only a power 'input', and of the coaxial Jack as the only 'output' ....

Chromecast (not CCA) currently £19 at Currys/PCW. CCA still £20. CCA available for free delivery, CC instore only.

A quick question on "full dynamic range": What does it mean? I'm reading that it should be better when using hi fi, but it seems like a loudness button, amplifying high and low frequencies more like less dynamic range..

So, I've now got 3 Chromecast doing multi-room audio across the house and loving it! Anyone got any tips on low cost (new or used) DACs that significantly improve on the internal one? Main system has a 2qute which is obviously fab but a bit overkill for the kitchen and garage....suggestions please!

A quick question on "full dynamic range": What does it mean? I'm reading that it should be better when using hi fi, but it seems like a loudness button, amplifying high and low frequencies more like less dynamic range..

It is like a loudness button. Selecting "full dynamic range" is switching the loudness button off, ie, no messing about with dynamic range or compression or "loudness".

It is like a loudness button. Selecting "full dynamic range" is switching the loudness button off, ie, no messing about with dynamic range or compression or "loudness".

Maybe, they also explain it :" Many common speaker systems such as desktop computer speakers, docking speakers, portable and Bluetooth speakers are not built to support such a full dynamic range, causing the volume level to be very loud and sound to be somewhat distorted. Please avoid turning this setting on in those cases."
It sounds stupid, cheap speakers just roll of, and don't have problems with dynamic range..

At high volumes I think setting it off is better.

I suspected that my reply might be ambiguous, and I was right. I'll have another go:

Cheap speakers roll off and have problems with dynamic range. By default, CCA has a compression function, which you refer to as like a loudness button, so that cheap speakers are more able to cope with a signal with a high dynamic range. You can switch off this default compression function by selecting "full dynamic range". But if you have cheap speakers, you may be better leaving the compression function enabled, which means not selecting "full dynamic range".

(Note that much popular music is compressed anyway, at the mastering stage, because it is expected that it will be played over crappy speakers or headphones.)

I suspected that my reply might be ambiguous, and I was right. I'll have another go:

Cheap speakers roll off and have problems with dynamic range. By default, CCA has a compression function, which you refer to as like a loudness button, so that cheap speakers are more able to cope with a signal with a high dynamic range. You can switch off this default compression function by selecting "full dynamic range". But if you have cheap speakers, you may be better leaving the compression function enabled, which means not selecting "full dynamic range".

(Note that much popular music is compressed anyway, at the mastering stage, because it is expected that it will be played over crappy speakers or headphones.)

I got it right the first time, but I think it's somehow wrong. If you have an amplifier with loudness button, pressing it, does exactly what full DR in CCA settings does..
I don't have cheap speakers!

I think enabling dynamic range on a CCA means it can decode 24/96 audio instead of a being limited to a lower standard, like 16/41.

Maybe it sounds a bit better on full DR, even though I was expecting a bit more, but for the price is very good.
What do you think is the best application for controlling it in ios, I have my music sreaming from the Nas.

My Synology NAS has its own media player app, DS Audio Station, and I use that. If your NAS has a media player app, it might well be able to cast to your CCA.

advertisement

Back