1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

good, SMALL solid state amplifiers? on a budget...and not Class D

Discussion in 'audio' started by jamesd, Oct 15, 2017.

1. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

thanks for all the suggestions

monoblocks definitely don't work as I'm trying to reduce boxes and cables if i can.

I suppose if I'm wrong about Class D amplification, it would be worth my while to try the new Mytek amp that matches my Brooklyn.

I'd really love the Benchmark amp but it's out of budget.

I'm looking into all of these other options. Thanks for all the advice.

2. eastone

eastone pfm Member

One last suggestion: Quad 303.

Plenty info on it round here, I know Tony is a fan.

In my experience, and going by your previous choice of integrated, the Snells appreciate a bit of valve character, which the 303 is reputed to do very well for a solid state device.

3. Alan Brown

Alan Brown Registered LUser

4. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Distributor and Manufacturer

Understood that's why we designed the stereo version. 50w + 50W in a mono case.

A bit left field I know but how about a Marantz PM4 integrated? 15watt class A, or 60watts in AB at the push of a switch. Also MM & MC phono inputs. Beautifully made and sounds really nice, especially on the class A setting.

[​IMG]

5. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

It does. Are you running standard nCores or ones with a Nord buffer? We need to know the voltage gain of the amp.

There is also the problem that we can only control the voltage, not the power - the relationship between voltage and power depends on the actual impedance of the speaker, and that varies with frequency. On the other hand the 100W power handling is a very approximate value too.

Here is a slightly simplistic analysis:

Assuming a nominal 4 ohm, it takes 20 V (RMS) at the amp output to produce 100W. The standard hypex nc400 has a voltage gain of 26 dB, corresponding to a ratio of 20, so you want to limit the input voltage to 1 V. The Dragonfly Black has an output voltage of 1.2 V, which is only 1.5 dB above 1 V, so as long as you stay 1.5 dB off full volume, you should be OK (all assuming standard hypoex voltage gain).

6. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Good, small, solid state, on a budget, no class D: take a look at the many "Gainclone" amplifiers available.

7. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

Thanks Julf,

Mine are these, NC500 based, with Sonic Imagery 994 Op Amps:

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-se-up-nc500mb-mono-block-black-single

The speakers are Yamaha NS-1000Ms, nominally 8ohm.

8. Julf

Problem is that Colin and Mike don't like to talk technical stuff - I don't know if their buffer and op-amp adds gain or not.

9 ohm would require 28 V at the output to produce 100W, so 1.4 V at the input if the gain is the hypex-standard 26 dB / 20x, but nominal impedance is just that - nominal.

9. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

Thanks again. So, assuming no gain in the buffer, and only considering nominal impedance, the Dragonfly at full tilt through the ncores would produce less than 100w.

I’ll just Keep it to max -10db :)

10. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

Anyone have experience with the Bel Canto 5ci? It is Class D and only has a MM section, but a once box solution is very appealing

11. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

+1 I repaired and recapped one of these recently and can confirm that they sound very nice when set to class A.

12. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

The Marantz looks cool but about twice the width the width that I need

13. ryder

ryder pfm Member

The appeal of a small integretad cannot be disregarded. Small, neat and tidy. The usual suspects would be as follows.

Rega Brio
    Exposure XM5
    Naim Atom

The Atom is costly but it's an all-in-one.

14. Julf

Yes.

That should do it. :)

15. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

Rega Brio, still for me the amp in that pricerange.

16. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I have an A&E DCA-100, shoebox format, sounds lovely. Rare as a happy Remain voter, thouh nicer to have around after the evening news.

18. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

really dig the looks of that thing. looks like it's a "normal" height, though.

19. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

Oh, dear, I want one....

20. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

There is one for sale in Germany at 120€. I am tempted too, but I can ill afford a unit that needs repair.