1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

good, SMALL solid state amplifiers? on a budget...and not Class D

Discussion in 'audio' started by jamesd, Oct 15, 2017.

1. abbydog

abbydog pfm Member

2. sprogbasket

sprogbasket pfm Member

Always liked the AVI lab series amp 200 Watts , half width size highly musical and quite dashing too

3. samz

samz pfm Member

I briefly had a Heed Obelisk on a home demo and was really impressed with it, I didn't buy it as it was the MK2 version and they now have the MK3 version which is more powerful and wanted to hear the MK3 but have not done so as yet.

The Heed Obelisk may suit if you don't want a bright sound, to my ears it sounded nicely rich with a natural warmth to the sound without losing out on detail.

4. eastone

eastone pfm Member

I used Quad power amps with AN and Snell speakers to pretty good effect. A good, serviced 306 can be had for less than £250 and will run happily with the DAC doing attenuation. If there's too much gain in stock form or you feel the need to add an active preamp you can alter sensitivity very simply by changing a resistor.

The 306 is a surprisingly bouncy little amp, having all the lovely midrange you'd expect from Quad without sacrificing transparency.

5. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Price isn't necessarily an indication of sound quality.

6. Julf

Excess power doesn't hurt, and a decent class D amp is fine at lower power levels too. They are small and efficient, and can really challenge top-notch A/B amps in terms of sound quality.

7. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Or how about the Valvet monoblocks currently in the classifieds? 10 watts single ended class A per side... and solid state...

8. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

The 3116 is not a hifi device, its the 3250 that is a bit more advanced.

9. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I'm surprised no one has offered the obvious answer.

NAIT2.

I'll have to bring mine out of hibernation to try out with my Yammy NS-1000Ms.

10. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

FWIW I now have old school efficient speakers (NS-1000Ms) and Nord NCore 500 D-class amps. They sound stunning together.

My only concern is ensuring I don’t put 400W through the Yammies.

11. Julf

I guess the proper designation would be "Hypex nCore 500's as sold by Nord", but then we should apply the same terminology to people like NAD too...

12. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

Absolutely right. Nord ‘just’ put them in nice boxes with some decent opamps.

While I have your attention - given that I currently run my Roon end-point (Raspberry Pi thing) through a Dragonfly Black DAC into the Ncores... how would I calculate the digital attenuation required to ensure I don’t exceed 100W into the Yammies?

I hope that makes sense.

13. Robert

Robert Tapehead

No that's an old wives tale. Both are essentially neutral and there is no aspect of their design to make them sound bright.

Older Naim is fine though hiss levels might be an issue if your 'speaker sensitivity rating is over 90dB.

The old Cyrus Power and Smart Power were fine units (I've owned the former). Not tried anything produced by Cyrus in past decade though.

14. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Pass XA 25.

World class sound, beautifully built, reliable in the extreme, and it will outlast you. $4,900 U.S. and worth every penny.

15. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

I agree. In this case, it’s incredible for the money. It’s not better than the budget Rotel amp I’m currently running, though (which I paid 100 bucks for).

16. Alan Brown

Alan Brown Registered LUser

EWA Q20 and matching pre, by the guy who invented the Inca Tech Claymore. Plenty of power and a half width chassis, I think it's being reviewed this week in Audiophile News and Music Review.

I've got a forerunner of the Q20 and it's really special.

17. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

I'm not.

18. DM-10

DM-10 pfm Member

Clones 25i

Densen BEAT100

Cheers

19. Bob Edwards

Bob Edwards pfm Member

I'll second the Exposure suggestion . . .

20. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Distributor and Manufacturer

So does TRON. The Convergence Mono amps are currently available, or the Convergence stereo version will be available before Christmas.

[​IMG]