advertisement

Goldring 1012 GX - HFN Test Disk, some wierdness...HELP!

djftw

Heterodox Member
Hi all. I have done a bit of digging on the site before posting and I am slightly less concerned about the bias setting tracks, and needing full bias to get matching levels of distortion at +16dB and higher than seems sensible at +14 to eliminate distortion on the right channel...

...I am, however, quite perturbed that on the channel balance tracks although the output from both channels seems to be at the same level for the recorded channel; when playing the right channel only track the left channel is virtually silent, but when playing the left channel only track what sound like harmonics of the test tone are audiable on the right channel. This is not loud enough to be easily distinguished from the left channel at the normal listening position, but with an ear pointed at the speaker about 4 feet away it is very obvious. Does anyone know what would cause this result?

Table is a pre-Cirkus Sondek, arm is Ittok LVII. Everything is very level according to bubble-gauge, alignment was done with Linn big disk protractor thing, and double checked with another I have with finer lines. With a finer cantilever and without the sort of viewing slot my 2M has I'm not as confident I can see exactly what is going on - but with the assistance of a torch was as rigorous as I could be!

TIA

Cartridge R-L and L-R crosstalk is not always equal and often rather poor. It just means that you cartridge is a tiny bit off correct alignment to get R-L and L-R as good as possible at the same time.

Cartridge R-L and L-R crosstalk is not always equal and often rather poor. It just means that you cartridge is a tiny bit off correct alignment to get R-L and L-R as good as possible at the same time.

Many thanks David, are you able to be any more specific about how the cart might be misaligned to produce this effect? As I say it is much harder to judge by eye than it was with my 2M...I wonder if I can get my USB microscope in focus at an angle where I can see what is going on...

I think that you are very close to optimum, only a degree or so off. If it worries you, experiment with small adjustments to the headshell from true horizontal

advertisement

Back