1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Georgie shocked to learn only the little people pay taxes

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

Bloody right I would. I would have done ANYTHING to escape.

Chris

2. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Post less, say more.

3. mattski

mattski pfm Member

How crass Chris. Re-Joyce is right - if anything serious happens we will all be relying on the state whether we like it or not.

As for the NHS, there are plenty of people who cannot afford private health care who owe their lives to it and so ask them whether the state screwed up.

It's ridiculous to imply that the private sector never screw up. Some of the biggest idiots I know work in the private sector whereas the public sector folks I know tend to be that bit more level-headed.

4. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

The fact that state enterprises (now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one) tend to be inefficient does not imply that all private enterprises are models of thrusting efficiency.

The difference is that inefficient private enterprises go to the wall. Inefficient or disfunctional state enterprises just get more and more money thrown at them, rather than reform.

Chris

5. Greg

Greg 2t5b

Chris Chris, you've jumped to a bunch of nonsensical conclusions here.

6. Re-Joyce

Re-Joyce ... Jason H that is.

You don't think they owe a debt to the society that was willing to invest in their future by educating them to a degree standard?

Jason

7. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

No. Not at all. No more than they owe a debt to society for someone emptying the rubbish bins or policing the street.
    Chris

8. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

quite a lot of expat workers use the time to drink themselves to death.

9. TheDecameron

Chris, share your cultural interests with us.

10. TheDecameron

Chris, share your cultural interests with us.

11. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

You are not wrong. I did an OU mathematics degree to help combat the temptation. You can't do mathematics if you have had even 1 drink.

Chris

12. TheDecameron

You can't differentiate between rum and brandy?

13. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

Why, Dec?

Oh, nevermind.
    Literature:- Paricularly partial to 20th cetury american literature, Vonnegut, Roth, Heller, et al.

Music:- Jesus, very little I don't like. I struggle with opera, and the more extreme free jazz such as Brotzman et al.
    I actively dislike the Yelpesis school of prog rock.
    I used to be considered something of an authority on west coast/San Francisco psych.
    I don't understand hip Hop, Rap etc. so do not express any views on it.

Theatre:- I am a "Friend" of Eden Court, although it has to be said that of late I have not been going to the theatre much. Probably my least important cultural activity.

Cinema:- I no longer go to the cinema as I find it a totally hateful experience nowadays. Having said that, the cinema section of the Eden Court Theatre is lagely yoof & pig-ignorant prole-free, and I am going to see "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" there tonight.
    But my favourite movies of all time is "Apocalypse Now". More recently I have enjoyed "The King's Speech, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Architecture:- Actively loathe the 80/90's neo-thatcher twee which is still far too prevalent. I like anything with a bit of imagination behind it.

Art:- Bit of a philistine here. Too much self-indulgent overly self-important stuff going down for my liking, but I freely admit that that is a totally uneducated and ill-informed opinion. I am simply not interested & I really cannot be arsed to teach myself enough about it to maybe appreciate it better.

Other leisure activities:- Shooting, both clay pigeons & wildfowl.
    Meals-on wheels volunteer driver on weekends, but I'm knocking that on the head soon. Takes up to much time.

Chris

Chris

14. TheDecameron

Thanks for this Chris, sometimes we get locked into one dimensional arguments here and you can lose sight of a lot. I enjoyed the Marigold Hotel film in a tiny regional cinema on a Scottish island at the weekend. Was miffed to be sat in the front row because the local film club had booked the place out, though that was an encouraging sign for the venue's survival. If I'm honest I also subscribe to the Sartre dictum that hell is indeed other people.

15. Still

Still gyldengourd

Compared to today maybe, but much of a muchness for the 70s.
    Ime rail services post privatisation are far poorer & more expensive compared to the 80s & early 90s.
    I would've thought you'd be against 'private' rail receiving state subsidies of over £5bn pa.

16. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

I think you've set him a problem there Still.

His usual position is to oppose pretty much any and all public spending, on the basis that he doesn't use the services has is forced to pay for out of his enormous wealth.
    However, the present bunch of Hoorays, Muppets, Cartoon Characters and Upper Class Twits comprising the ConDem Govt., are muddying the water by maintaining,(even increasing) Govt. spending levels, but channeling them through the Private Sector.

It's a tough one!