1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

George Galloway

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Mar 30, 2012.

1. auric

auric pfm Member

I expect it was a carefully calibrated little PR token and I expect it has worked rather well as the talking heads are still talking.

Don't think it was a protest vote as some suggest but a vote for what the voters believe in and as to the can he deliver question just ask yourself if the others can or have so far delivered?

the voters have got what they voted for no matter how much it upsets the people in the Westminster Village.

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

It's democracy in action. We are a nation that likes to tell others about democracy.

3. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

Sadly I feel he represents a mainstream safety valve rather than an inclusive movement . 'Vive la revolution' .... sort of! Im all for his unhindered approach to matters mid eastern but have no idea what hes saying about other veritḗs

4. deanf

deanf pfm Member

The way I see it, Bradford needs two things - better community cohesion and major investment. The first means overturning hundreds of years of culture and therefore needs someone who can balance a lot of strong personalities - maybe George with a toe in all camps is the man to do it. The second needs trust, stability and a high level of credibility - here's where I think he'll fall down.

I can see him being a very popular MP within the walls of Bradford, but not really achieving much. Personally I see him as an arrogant self serving egomaniac, so a lack of results won't matter to him. I hope to be proved wrong.

5. hokkaido

hokkaido pfm Member

Two views on GG. The first by Ross McKibbin from the Social Democratic (Oxford) Left:

A first reaction to the Bradford by-election is one of anger: that a self-promoting blowhard like George Galloway, who was ejected by his Bethnal Green constituents after only one term, should be so acceptable to the electors of Bradford West; and anger at a political system that allowed this to happen.

And for balance this fulsome piece by Tariq Ali:

George Galloway’s stunning electoral triumph in the Bradford by-election on Thursday 29th March has shaken the petrified world of English politics.

Both are worth reading. Thanks very much!

6. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

We won't ever be able to adopt our customary tone of bemused perplexity over some of the fruit loops the good citizens of the USA elect to office ever again, will we?

Chris

7. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

Tariq Ali was the inspiration for The Rolling Stones 'Street Fighting Man' and John Lennon's 'Power To The People.'

He made sense in the Sixties and still does now.

I saw him talk at a showing of The Leopard and The Fox in 2007, which he did the screenplay for. It's about the last days of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, the Prime Minister of Pakistan, who after a coup was executed in 1979 on the orders of General Zia-ul-Haq.

Jack

8. Cav

Cav pfm Member

That will be the UK and US politicians' rational mind? Cos no one else has such a thing?

9. Michael L

Michael L Banned

You seem bitter lately, Cav.

Are you seriously suggesting that you think the change of regime in Libya is a bad thing?

How very odd.

10. avole

avole pfm Member

Do you think it is the right of the US, UK and their allies to enforce regime change on ones they don't like?

11. Cav

Cav pfm Member

"Bitter" must be your word of the month, having previously been "myopic".

I am not so arrogant as to assume I know what is best for other soveriegn states.

What is "odd" is people who do not live in those sovereign states, seem to think they know what is best...

12. Michael L

Michael L Banned

Whole nother question.

The original question asked if the Libyan regime change is a bad thing.

13. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Time will tell whether there will be a lasting improvement for the population in Libya or Iraq.
    If we look at history the various tribes have been killing each other since before the crusades, so why should it change now. In both cases the most likely outcome will be the rise of despots who will need to use violence to survive.
    Lets hope this is not true.

14. avole

avole pfm Member

Fair enough, Michael L, you don't want to answer.

15. Michael L

Michael L Banned

I'm asking a question of somebody else, no need to try to divert that as far as I can see.

Like I said, its a whole 'nother question. I'm sticking to the point, and so will decline your kind offer of a diversion.

16. JimKempton

JimKempton pfm Member

That's a diversionary question as you well know. The correct question is was it right for others to make that decision. And the answer is still no.

17. Michael L

Michael L Banned

Ah, I see. I thought I was asking if any rational mind viewed the Libyan regime change as anything other than a good thing.

How silly of me.

18. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

The rational mind might well say we do not really know what has replaced it yet and wait and see.

An Iraqi said to me "Saddam was a bad man but Britain and America killed more people in three years than he did in thirty, how is this better?"

From a western oil supply security perspective its better, for the people? too early to say.

19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-20125536/signs-of-ex-rebel-atrocities-in-libya-grow/

Yes, Libya- a blow for freedom and democracy supported by the UK. The new rulers began by cutting Gadaffi a second arsehole as the Americans say. Except it was literally in this case. Then they moved on to the rest of the population. What Bradford shows is that a significant part of the UK population doesn't buy the pro-NATO propaganda about Libya, Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan.

20. Michael L

Michael L Banned

It does no such thing.