advertisement

Gary Numan

Lee T

pfm Member
Found the greatest hits among my collection today, havn't listened to Numan for around 20 years, quite surprised to find how i enjoyed revisiting this guy, we are glass stood out for me along with love needs no disguise, lot's of great stuff on here i felt.

Has anyone ever listened to his early albums & are they worth bothering with, are they available on cd or is the hits album as good as it gets.

First three: Tubeway Army, Replicas and The Pleasure Principle are all well worth having IMHO. I bought Replicas when it first came out and was knocked out by how new and different it sounded to my then glam/prog ears. Must dig it out for a spin at some point. I'm pretty sure he did an album later on with Mick Karn from Japan, if so I must get to hear it at some point.

Mick Karn was on 'Dance', which is a strangely ghostly but occasionally funky sounding record. This was Numan's Trilby and trenchcoat jazz-funk influenced phase, which is probably more of its time than the early post-punk and synth stuff that has had such a legacy.

Replicas is definitely worth getting.

Replicas is just an amazing album, ground braking at the time and still outstanding, I also like the first Tubeway Army album and the 1978 Bombers EP.

His last one (I think), Splinter (tales from a broken mind) is also very good.

Replicas - The Pleasure Principle & not mentioned yet, but my favourite is 'Telekon' - recently rereleased on double L.P. marvellous!

Yes, those first four records are excellent. I also think Replicas remains one of the best recordings in my collection, despite the teenage abuse I heaped on it. I lost him after Telekon, but out of curiosity picked up Splinter last year. I'm generally not a fan of dense gothic-like rock, but it too is an excellent record, though the recording quality has slipped somewhat.

I agree, not only is Replicas a brilliant album the production and sound are bang on, a superb recording.

I must give him another go :) Ive got his latest one on minidisc but havent listened to it yet.

I just want to say that his performance of are friends electric on OGWT was awful.

Are they are studio group I thought. My feelings now are that he is way overrated but Ive never given him a fair chance.

Stuff like we are glass doesnt really float my boatface. However Ive a feeling there is an album lurking there that I may enjoy

I used to go to the futurist/indie/Bowie night at Rock City - Nottingham in the early/mid eighties -

You coud guarantee that if a Gary Numan track came on, the main dance floor would empty and several 'Gary Numans' complete with red 'Telekon' double belt thingy and dodgy teeth would stand in the middle of the floor 'doing' Gary Numan poses, including artistic grimacing/facial expressions.. 'On Broadway' (Numan version) was well received as well as 'I'm An Agent'

There was always one who looked spot on, and several who looked dubious.

My original copies plus a couple of new (ish) re-releases

numans_zpsloj5ir6e.jpg

SQ on the new presses is good, but was ok to begin with...

His upcoming tour is of material taken from those three albums.
Im indoors went to see him when he did the run at The Forum last year, and said it was a great show, so we've got tickets to see him in Oxford.

went to see him about three years ago , great,, going in September this year should be good £32 is this a decent ticket price ?? rock city Nottingham England,

I used to go to the futurist/indie/Bowie night at Rock City - Nottingham in the early/mid eighties -

You coud guarantee that if a Gary Numan track came on, the main dance floor would empty and several 'Gary Numans' complete with red 'Telekon' double belt thingy and dodgy teeth would stand in the middle of the floor 'doing' Gary Numan poses, including artistic grimacing/facial expressions.. 'On Broadway' (Numan version) was well received as well as 'I'm An Agent'

There was always one who looked spot on, and several who looked dubious.
Argh, Rock city, memories

went to see him about three years ago , great,, going in September this year should be good £32 is this a decent ticket price ?? rock city Nottingham England,

My mate would not pay £40+ to see The Specials at Rock City later this year, £32 is nowt if you like Gary Numan tunes.

advertisement

Back