advertisement

Fujifilm x100f vs xt1 23mm 1.4

camed

pfm Member
I currently use an xt1 with 23mm 1.4. It's all pretty much point and shoot stuff, family get togethers and holidays etc..
I've got a few days left in Hong Kong and have been tempted to swap for a x100f. Really great price at £850. Is it worth the change, will the quality be any better? I guess I'd use it more because of the size??

OK I have both!!

Well I had an X-T1, now have an X-T2 and have the 23mmF1.4 and I have an X100F

Some points (in a random order)

1) The XF23mm F1.4 is as sharp at F2 as the X100 23mm lens is anywhere

2) X-Trans3 sensors (X-T2, X100F) are sharper than X-Trans2 (X-T1)

3) I thought the extra resolution of the X100F would make the X100 23mm lens a real weak point, but it doesn't, as the sensor is sharper, its actually made the best of the lens, but the X100 23mm lens is still soft especially to the corners at F2

4) The X100F is a much smaller and lighter package than X-T1(2)+ 23mm F1.4. Its just a lovely handling camera (the only initial issue is the position of the Q button, but you soon get used to it.

5) You can't shoot at F1.4 on an X100 camera (obvious, but worth pointing out!!). If you like the F1.4 DOF then you won't get it with the X100F

6) The High ISO capability of X-Trans3 is much better than previous X-Trans sensors, although specification wise its only slightly better the way the noise manifests itself, means that it can easily be cleaned up. I regularly shoot up to ISO6400 (and even 12800) on X-Trans3. I could only dream of that on X-T1. So if you shoot in low light the better High ISO noise management of the X-Trans3 negates the reason to shoot at F1.4

7) You get ACROS with X-Trans3, this has different high ISO noise characteristics again (much more film like), so if you like B&W photography, this is lovely to have. It also is very good when shooting colour as if set on the EVF really displays the tones in the image well.

If I had to have one camera I'd keep the X100F, its just fantastic and the image quality sublime.

Hope that helps (oh and at £850 the X100F is a bit of a bargain, your only decision is the colour black or silver??)

Thanks for response. Deep down I know I didn't really need much convincing. I can't justify keeping the xt1. I still have an xpro1 which hasn't seen daylight for quite some time!

The only problem with an X-T1 is that it doesn't have much value now, the secondhand market is flooded with them. The 23mm F1.4 lens though is stellar.

But IMO X100F over your shoulder, spare battery and WCL conversion lens in your pocket, happy days......

Never had the experience of the 27mm.

Got the x100f last night. It's a stunning piece of kit. Will get out on the streets tomorrow to have a play

Gahhh dammit. Had a play with an X100F in the camera shop yesterday. I'd managed to convince myself it wasn't that much of an improvement over my classic X100, that the old camera was still good enough (which it is) but blow me if it isn't in another league - both build-wise and handling. It really is superb. Gonna have to get one now.

Cant take it with you, as they say!

Gahhh dammit. Had a play with an X100F in the camera shop yesterday. I'd managed to convince myself it wasn't that much of an improvement over my classic X100, that the old camera was still good enough (which it is) but blow me if it isn't in another league - both build-wise and handling. It really is superb. Gonna have to get one now.

Cant take it with you, as they say!

Ha!!! I still have my original X100, but the F really is in a different league, wait until you see what the High ISO IQ is like.......

advertisement

Back