advertisement

Fuji XT2 in '24...

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hey all. After enjoying my XT2 since buying new in 2016, I was starting to feel that some of its deficiencies were beginning to frustrate me: the lack of IBIS and occasionally unreliable AF mainly.

So, in about a week or so I should have a new Fuji XH2. I'm sure it will have its own quirks, but the larger handgrip, custom modes on the PASM dial, better AF, IBIS and somewhat higher resolution sensor are all appealing to me.

My question is: what to do with the XT2. Is it worth holding onto, given that it'll doubtless be worth only a couple of hundred to sell (even in good condition with all original boxes etc.)? My son is getting a little into photography and that would have been the obvious answer, but he has my wife's old XT10 and quite likes it and doesn't particularly want the bigger/heavier XT2 nor does he want to lose the handy built-in flash that the XT10 has.

If I didn't already have the Q2 I'd say I could justify two bodies, but three? And I am no more than a keen amateur who makes no coin from this endeavour, so it's hard to justify an XT2 and an XH2. But the XT2 is way too good a camera to sell for buttons.... dilemma!!

I sold my X-T2 a few years ago, and bought an X-H1 - in hindsight this was a mistake, not because of the technical abilities of the X-H1, I could take decent images with it, but because it lost that "Fujiness" and operated more like a mirrorless DSLR, if that makes sense. It's pick-me-up kerb side appeal was less, I just didn't want to shoot with it. Logically this doesn't make sense but thats the way it was.

If if money aspect of it isn't an issue, then I would hand onto it for at least a few months to make sure that you bond with The X-H2.

Personally IBIS is not as useful as you first think. It certainly has its place on longer focal length lenses enabling hand held operation as shutter speeds that don't force you to stratospherically bump the ISO, but I find for general stuff, there is often objects moving in teh scene that mean you need to shoot at a faster shutter speed nayway to get them stationary.

Better AF is always nice though.

I’m still using my XT-1, X-Pro1, X-M1 and X100 !! All owned from new back in the day when I went absolutely mental with photography and the gear. All great cameras and no less capable with the passage of time. Fortunately one day the GAS stopped.

They are not worth selling these days so I keep them around anyway as it’s good to have a couple of bodies on the go if I’m having a photography day.

I sold my X-T2 a few years ago, and bought an X-H1 - in hindsight this was a mistake, not because of the technical abilities of the X-H1, I could take decent images with it, but because it lost that "Fujiness" and operated more like a mirrorless DSLR, if that makes sense. It's pick-me-up kerb side appeal was less, I just didn't want to shoot with it. Logically this doesn't make sense but thats the way it was.

If if money aspect of it isn't an issue, then I would hand onto it for at least a few months to make sure that you bond with The X-H2.

Personally IBIS is not as useful as you first think. It certainly has its place on longer focal length lenses enabling hand held operation as shutter speeds that don't force you to stratospherically bump the ISO, but I find for general stuff, there is often objects moving in teh scene that mean you need to shoot at a faster shutter speed nayway to get them stationary.

Better AF is always nice though.
Interesting. Much as I've enjoyed the dials-orientated aspect of the XT2, I often found myself yearning for the EOS 5Dmk2-style approach, with which I was very comfortable. I got used to the XT2's approach, but the retro thing isn't really the thing that makes me enjoy that camera and stick by it. Plus, if I want a zen-like camera experience, the Q2 nails it for me. If anything, I kinda want a bit more operational distance between the Q2 and my Fuji setup, and no matter what I read about the XT5, I keep thinking the XH2 is more in tune with what I want. Even if I'll barely use any of the video stuff!

There was briefly a daft idea that I could 'sneak' the XT5 in and SWMBO wouldn't notice, given how similar looking it is to the XT2....

I really wanted IBIS on the 56/1.2 and 90/2 that I have; neither have OIS. I don't really need it on the 35 or wider, and my 100-400 has OIS. Your points are well-made, but it would be useful to have it as a fall-back....

I don't need the money from selling the XT2, but I am going through an existential de-cluttering phase and I find there's a fair amount of subconscious anxiety about having too many things.... in a kind of inversion of the GAS thrill, I'm getting GRS (Gear Reduction Syndrome) across many things. That being said, it won't hurt to hold onto the XT2 a bit longer....

A pal converted his XT-2 to infra red. Works amazingly well for B&W

This is a good option, something like a 830nm converted camera will give you some superb IR images with nice deep blacks, and can be shot handheld. If you do go down this route just check how your existing Fuji lenses work with IR, quite a few have IR hot spots that can eb difficult to correct in post.

830 nm is red light marginally beyond the human vision. In fact, if you have a bright enough source, you can just see it. It ain't ir but it tends to be what it gets called. Near infra red would be more accurate, if that matters to anyone!

To be fair I'm unlikely to go down the IR route.... I'm assuming conversion is expensive or beyond my ham-fisted capabilities....

830 nm is red light marginally beyond the human vision. In fact, if you have a bright enough source, you can just see it. It ain't ir but it tends to be what it gets called. Near infra red would be more accurate, if that matters to anyone!

This is true! but if you start going further into IR territory then the sensitivity response of the sensor get significantly reduced, meaning that you either have to bump the ISO or use a tripod - 830/850nm is a good compromise for hand held digital photography.

This is true! but if you start going further into IR territory then the sensitivity response of the sensor get significantly reduced, meaning that you either have to bump the ISO or use a tripod - 830/850nm is a good compromise for hand held digital photography.
Yes, indeed!

advertisement

Back