advertisement

Fuji X100T vs XF23

Gromit

Plasticine Dog
Had a couple of folk asking for a brief comparison between the 23mm lens of the Fuji X100T and the XF23-1.4R. I've tried to make this as scientific (ie with the minimum of guesswork!) as possible - the files are re-named to their associated camera. I used the X-Pro1 mainly as it has the same resolution sensor as the 100T. The Pro2 is also included, naturally. :)

X100T at f2:

X100Tf2 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

X-Pro1/XF23 at f2:

XPro1XF23f2 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

X-Pro1/XF23 at f1.4:

XPro1XF23f1.4 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

X-Pro2/XF23 at f1.4

XPro2XF23f1.4 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

X100T at f4:

X100Tf4 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

X-Pro1/XF23 at f4:

XPro1XF23f4 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

X-Pro2/XF23 at f4:

XPro2XF23f4 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

And just for fun, the AI-Nikkor 50-f1.8 with Photodiox adapter on the X-Pro2:

X-Pro2Nikkor by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Should add the Nikkor was wide-open.

Also, all RAF files were uploaded and converted in LR6, detail set to 100, and exported with Provia (STD) film simulation. Apart from very small adjustments to hopefully match exposure, these are untouched. Hope it'll be useful anyway. :)

A couple of my own conclusions from this:

1. The X100T is extremely good.
2. The Pro1 is every bit as good as the Pro2 for static stuff.

But when you put them side by side (f2 comparison X100T v XPro) you can see the sharpness difference towards the edges. Makes that purchase decision even easier for Lefty!!!

BTW thanks for doing it (it makes my GAS even more justified!!)

My pleasure. :)

Now you've put those corner/edge crops side to side (I'm not sure how to do that so thanks for putting them up) the 23's superiority isn't subtle in such instances. My 23's slightly soft at 1.4 but at f2 it definitely has greater clarity than the X100T when used wide-open.

Gromit, I downloaded the images and just put them side by side in Paint Shop Pro, then did a screen grab, cropped the buttons off, and uploaded the resultant JPG to photobucket.

I'm only using PSP as I'm on a work laptop on a client site, and it hasn't got any other image manipluation stuff on it!!!

I've always found the XF23mm f1.4 to be incredibly sharp, and your test has certainly confirmed my thoughts. It will be interesting to see where the new XF23mm f2 fits.

It will be interesting to see where the new XF23mm f2 fits.

Agreed - opinion seems fairly split where the 35mm brothers are concerned (those who say the 1.4 is sharper than the 2 and vice versa) so I'm putting money on the 23 showing up the same. I had considered going for a 23 f2 but this 1.4 came up at the right price.

The 50-f2 will be interesting to try aswell - we'll have to get Lefty onto that ;)

Not fair - there are two of you ganging up on me now! :( :D

Thanks for posting Richard. Very interesting indeed and tallies with my brief encounter with the 23/1.4 on the X-T2 day. I'm waiting for the 23/2 (and for more money to appear in my bank account!) before making a decision.

Lefty

:D

I'm just bowled-over by how darn good that old AI-Nikkor 50 is, the focus-peaking on the Pro2 making such easy work of focusing. :)

Don't forget the Nikkor is a FF lens, so most of the lens softness at wide apertures will be outside the image circle of an APS-C sensor

advertisement

Back