advertisement

Fuji X-E3

JemHayward

pfm Member
I've got an X-E2, so I really don't need an X-E3, but I do like the fact it's a tiny bit smaller, I'm not bothered by the loss of the flash as I don't use the one I have, but it would have been nice to have the X-T1/2 viewfinder.

I tend to use my X-E2 when I'm out and about, and the X-T1 in the studio, or when I'm out doing 'photography' and am carrying two bodies.

I'm thinking that an X-E3 and X-E2 as backup, may be a good system, but there are a few things about the X-T1 I do like... dilemmas!

The 90mm macro looks interesting too, but I already have two lenses near that focal length, so I can probably resist that temptation.

I had been holding out for the new macro, but not at £1300 I'm afraid - it's quite easy to resist! I've now found an Oly OM 80mm/4 and all the associated gubbins so we'll see what's it's like on the Pro2 in the next few days...

X-Trans3 all the way from me. Having shot with it for over a year now (X-T2 and X100F), IMO it's the best X-Trans sensor by a country mile.

It's sharp, very sharp, even known soft lenses like the X100F have been given a new lease if life, I thought the extra MP would really show with this lens, but it doesn't

High ISO, IMO it's at least 2 stops better than X-Trans2, now the comparison reviews don't show this, but the high ISO noise is easier to clean up on X-Trans3. I often shoot at 6400 and above and get really clean images

You get ACROS, which as a BW shooter you will love, and the in camera algorithms Fuji have kept to themselves, and it renders differently to computer film simulations, in camera it renders with film like grain at high ISO

You have more MP so more cropping options, and if you take the centre 16MP you'll get an equivalent focal length increase of about 20%

So IMO the best two Fuji sensors are the original Bayer (X100) and the latest X-Trans3, so I've ended up with X-T2 and X100F and for Bayer days an X-A2 and original X100

So go for an X-Trans3 sensor.........X-T2 and an X-E3 for your pocket......you know it makes sense!!!!

Jem, if you want macro get the Fuji extension tubes. Well made and fit any of their lenses. It works well with the 90mm. Much easier on the wallet too.

I use an older X-E1 as a carry around with the 27mm f2.8. It is similar in size to the X100 series with the option of changing lenses if you feel the need. As I have an X-T1 and X-T2 temptation is being resisted on an X-E3.

Mr P probably has it about right, an X-T2 and an X-E3, great combination!

My X-E2 with 27 is my carry-around, and my X-T1 is my 'serious' camera, though, of course, the image quality is identical. I do also have access to my original Bayer X100 which does have a certain quality to it, though I think that the X-Trans sensors are notably 'better'.
I have Fuji (fit) extension tubes - that I use occasionally, and I have two Zeiss lenses with a set of tubes that I occasionally use, but macro as such isn't what I do, so I doubt I'd ever buy a purely macro lens, and really, I shouldn't buy any more lenses as I have a prime lens for every focal length I'll ever need.

I have a fear that if I eventually get an X-E3 I'd not use my X-T1 at all.

In reality I can't afford an X-E3 now, and cannot justify upgrading as my photography is not limited by my tools, it's limited by my time, and my capabilities!

I must admit that I really didn't notice any change when going from X-E1 to X-E2 (x-trans I to x-trans II) but the jump in resolution to 24Mp would be useful as I am a bit of a cropper!

advertisement

Back