advertisement

Fuji sensor cleaning function

Tryant

pfm Member
Which is the best setting and why?There are three settings on the X-E2: Ok, when switched on, when switched off. I gather the "ok" setting is for a one-off cleaning. Then there's a sort of subset that seems to duplicate the second two. All a bit confusing. Any ideas gents?

I does the same thing in both modes, and works pretty well, though I did have to resort to cleaning with a wipe and blower on the X-E2 last nigh (pre-trip sensor check!) I use sensor clean on switch off, as sometimes I need to switch on and shoot as fast as possible, and the sensor clean seems to take 'ages' when you are trying to grab a shot. Thankfully the Fuji sensor doesn't seem too prone to picking up muck, my old Cannon 5D was a nightmare!

Thanks. I'm leaving it set to clean at switch off only as I'd also noticed it slows down the start up. I suppose it must use more of the battery but maybe impossible to quantify?

I use clean at switch off. Realistically, the fujis have not much space between the lens and sensor, because of the short registration distance, so compared to an SLR there's a lot less dust floating around to stick on the sensor, and without a mirror flapping around and swirling whatever dust there is about, it tends to be less of a problem.

The worst is my Mamiya ZD, which has a removable IR filter. This means there are 3 surfaces to keep clean (both sides of the filter, and the front of the sensor) so it's a right faff. Images are nice though!

advertisement

Back