advertisement

frugal horn xl

Odd, isn't it? I'm not predisposed to shite music, however I do now spend more time listening to much simpler music than I ever did before, partly I think that is down to getting a bit older and partly down to how close you can get to simpler recordings with highly resolving kit.

we have a recording of a mitchell b25 and played it last night , the floor shook and the sound was pretty damm good . you don`t need a sub with these babies . also got some recordings of harley davison and that throb was very realistic indeed . hope the neighbour did not mind too much . probably wondered what the heck going on with bombers flying at 11 pm at night :)

ah these are brumjams h2 which are available for sale for 1600 quid . i can point you to the thread if you need it. he uses a home made first watt i believe which sounds amazing apparently

i personally am using a msb s200 class A amp which is stonkingly good and i am entranced by the total transparency of these things . almost electrostatic . vocals are simply lovely and been playing all my vocal albums .

its a pleasure , i wonder what the difference in audio quality is the pensil 11 kit than the frugalhorn ?
http://www.kjfaudio.com/product/pensil-11-speaker-kit/#speaker-driver

is there any difference sonically or is it just physically smaller in depth

They've certainly got a similar signature. The pluvia driver in them are the latest of marks drivers. They are built to be more robust and with more excursion than is usually available with wide band drivers. Think decent midbass driver that also works full range. It's a very clever design actually. Scott Lindgren the designer of the Frugal Horn enclosures was asked if he could design something that was much easier than the Frugal horn for people to DIY while still providing excellent bass, he came up with the 'resonant air coupler'

There is a great review of our Pensil kit (and the frugal horn Lite) over on HiFi pig which are worth a read.

Alpair drivers are very good indeed imo. Have a set of A12p in the box for my next OB project. Only thing with them is they need to be run in in a very specific way if you are to avoid damaging them.

don`t think i have listened to so many vocal tracks for some while . the frugals are not quite as good with electronica that i normally listen to but with vocals they just give such an intimacy with voices . qute a sense of presence .

today after 2 weeks with a big class A power amp and valve pre i have swopped over to an AV amp with a sub to see how it sounds . not that i think they need a sub mind you . we had some pretty heavy tracks from black horse , gecko , endorphins , duka man today and got some thump in them without a sub

anyway back to handels water music which is playing now on the frugals and very good it is . the new speakers have not arrived and i don`t mind a bit...i

ha ... stefan ..that really would upset the dealer !!! no , got to give them a chance . the frugal are not perfect !!!

what with so many harb fans on pfm going on so much about them !! no, got to scratch that itch . its on a big list that includes magico a3 , kudos 707 , mummy horns .........

advertisement

Back