advertisement

frugal horn xl

got some frugelhorn xl in situ today , just settling in and I will post some pics in situ later . these are at owners house . passed the organ test so far , played san saans no 3 and it went pretty deep . I must confess I was not expecting that .

Which cone did you get from James? If I remember rightly he bought a selection of drivers from me.

As James mentioned in the other thread they do take a while to dial in the positioning just so. Ideally you'd have a play with the stuffing as well. Any questions I'll try and answer as best I can. There is a lot of info over on Frugal-phile, DIYA and some on my site on the product page and the instruction page.

http://www.kjfaudio.com/2016/08/17/frugal-horn-xl-flat-pack-kit-construction/

Hi Stefan. Phil has the (paper) drivers shown in the pics installed.

Phil - feel free to try removing some of the stuffing to hear the effect it has on bass notes.

looking forward to your thoughts Phil. I’m really happy with mine, which are the same spec as yours. For the music I listen to (everything, with the exception of rock) they’re ideal, and they suit the amps I like too.

Positioning is pretty crucial - they need to be set up off axis, else they beam. Stefan has his crossing in front of him, a la An-e set up, I prefer mine with less toe in, so worth having a play.

so I think I am right in thinking I have the alpair drivers in these , not the maop ? anyway today someone came to buy the proac and we briefly compared the two . the proac 125 is a most amazing speaker for the money and is slightly more full bloodied than the horns . big bouncy sound from them with more forgiveness for bad recordings

started off listening to these with just black ravioli underneath but have now changed to iso pucks and really toed them in as suggested so they cross in front of
you they have an amazing crystalline sound with linear sound , i.e no emphasis on bass or midrange . listening to larry norman ` watch what you are doing `

it can be a tad sharp on some aspects as an old recording and that's the case with the horns but the proac smooth it out more .

using the horns with some of California `s finest class A watts and a valve pre [modwright] the horns sound pretty bassy and drums are very delicate and real . lovely separation of instruments and very engaging sound . continuing to assess these speakers which I must say have exceeded all my expectations by a fair old way

listening some 4 times to Katie melua`s album in winter the female vocalists are very real and entrancing . this album was recorded in a makeshift studio in Georgia with the Ukraine's 25 strong Gori womens choir and the first track the little swallow in winter is something special

listening continues to evaluate these

Yep, you’ve got the alpair 10p drivers Phil. They’re good aren’t they? Outright good, rather than good for the money. I can’t see me changing mine anytime soon.

ah thanks for that jake , and yes stonkingly good for the money . I have some new speakers costing around 10 times as much as these arriving soon and I hope they are as good otherwise I have wasted my money !!!

however my teenage son hates the looks of them and says they sound like a tin can !!! with no oomph ....ah think I spoiled him with those massive martin logan summit x that used to crush your chest if you turned them up !!!!

Hi Phil yes, you have the standard drivers installed. The MAOP drivers offer a significant improvement over the standard, as they should for the price :).

however my teenage son hates the looks of them and says they sound like a tin can !!! with no oomph ....ah think I spoiled him with those massive martin logan summit x that used to crush your chest if you turned them up !!!!

They can look quite good painted up Phil

adjkh0.jpg

advertisement

Back