advertisement

(From Hercules to) Lingo

Howdy

pfm Member
Calling all those who have made the step from Hercules to Lingo 1. Is it worth it? What are your experiences?
And those who went from Lingo 1 to 2 or from 1 or 2 to 3.

Anyone by any chance compared Mose/Hercules with Lingo 1?

Do Lingo 1s need servicing? Etc.

Not that there's anything wrong with my setup, it sounds fabulous really, but... you know:)

Clearly/definitely/obviously NOT interested in SME/Michell/whatever debate, thank you.

I made the comparason and the Lingo 1 did sound a bit more like an LP12 to me. I would go straight to a Geddon or a Norton Airpower - Far better IMHO.

I'm spoilt with 45RPM at the press on the button option. With all these MFSL 45RPM reissues even more so.

My Elbow boxed set hasn't been used in over a year. Believe me, The Geddon is far better and worth the hassle.

You might want to change the output cap in the Herc from .22 to 2x 0.1 - quite an improvement.

You could keep the Herc and wire in either a Norton or a DIY Geddon for 33rpm. Best of both and very easy to do

I went from a Val to Hurc then to Lingo2 years ago.
It was big upgrade for the better.
Then linn brought out the Radikal and that was a massive upgrade for the better.

Barry can you say a bit about the val- herc nd the herc-lingo differences respectively? Which was the most worthwhile?

I really enjoyed the Val on my LP12. Not really accurate, but seemed to inject an energy into everything. This was missing when I tried a Herc and some of it returned when I went to a Lingo 1. I then tried a geddon and suddenly the noise floor dropped hugely. The Norton and DIY Geddon were further improvements on this. I do still think that the Valhalla is a great fun PSU.

Barry can you say a bit about the val- herc nd the herc-lingo differences respectively? Which was the most worthwhile?
At the time i was having a new arm fitted on a home visit by Peter from Cymbiosis and wasn't going to change the Val until it was out of the deck.
Two of the caps were blackening and might of given up at any time.
Peter had a Herc with him and fitted it.
Better to be safe than sorry.
He said i could have a full refund on it when i decided where i was going with power supplies at a later date?
At the time i hadn't made my mind up between a Geddon and Lingo 2.
I loved the Herc it made a nice difference and after a week or so of being able to play my many 45RPM LPs at the flick of the switch my mind was made up.
He fitted a Lingo 2 on his next visit a few months later.
That made a really big difference.
A few months later the Radikal was released and was as they say a no brainer.
I sold the Val on here to a DIY'er for around £60.

Just been lucky enough to find a really well sorted LP12 with an Air Norton and I'm really pleased with it.
If you can find one jump on it.

Just been lucky enough to find a really well sorted LP12 with an Air Norton and I'm really pleased with it.
If you can find one jump on it.
Great but how can you tell its well sorted?
Do you have a well sorted one already to test it against?
Any suddenly appeared on evil bay to jump on???

I mean't if you can find an air Norton go for it.
I was going to go through the upgrading of my Lp12 but came across one through pfm that had all the upgrades I was considering already fitted plus it came with an air norton which was a bonus.
I'm really pleased with the improvement. So I've actually got two now.

BTW powering it up for the first time is fun
The transformers are so big they tripped my circuit breakers
There is a procedure to follow to power it up so as not to trip the fuse box.
Not your everyday TT power supply and so heavy.

I mean't if you can find an air Norton go for it.
I was going to go through the upgrading of my Lp12 but came across one through pfm that had all the upgrades I was considering already fitted plus it came with an air norton which was a bonus.
I'm really pleased with the improvement. So I've actually got two now.
Did it come with arm and cartridge or did you transfer your own?

I went from a Lingo 1 to a Lingo 3 in the last year. I was pleased with the result and thought it a genuine and worthwhile upgrade. More clarity and a lower noise floor.

Cheers

advertisement

Back