advertisement

For want of a better name: the HackerNAP board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Carl,
I would be interested in 4 boards if that's OK. I have 4 of your PSU boards in my "pending" jiffy bag, so I would also like another 4 of these.

Just to pick everyones brains - I would like to put the new boards into my old shoebox cases, and I'm thinking it may be nice at a later stage to power each board separately, so was considering transformers and rectifiers in a separate box with an umbilical. I seem to recall someone on PFM said this was not a good arrangement. Bit don't Naim do something similar with the NAP500?

TIA

Duncan

Carl,

I'll revise my original request to a definite 4 please.

Also up for trafos if a GB happens for these.

Thanks again.

Would it be sensible to produce a prototype to ensure that the result works and doesn't emulate a microwave oven?

On the basis that power amps don't always work first time...

Paul

Sounds like a mighty fine idea. I'll have a couple of prototypes put together and stick 'em under the 'scope to make sure things look ok before spending a bunch of other people's money.

Once of my concerns is that the front-end VBE will take its sweet time in ramping up the voltage, taking a few seconds to come up to working voltage. I'm not sure what that'll do (if anything) to speakers that are directly connected. It won't affect me (remember this was a project for my own use before it became a little popular!) because I use Velleman speaker protection kits, but may (or may not) affect those who don't have loudspeaker protection.

I just so happen to have a pair of crappy old Sony plastic speakers that I use for testing purposes. Once the amp boards have been measured and scoped, we'll see what happens to drive cones...... :D

Doing the prototyping will add some time to the project, but that'll be time well spent I think.

Carl

Neil, is this worth custom traffo's, perhaps with dual secondary windings to separately power both HackerCap boards for the amp, and a second smaller traffo with dual secondaries to drive the front end HackerCap boards? I was thinking about how to fit this lot into one box and the answer was, "no"

I've updated the first page with this information:

Pricing

For 78 boards (current total) it's $7.50 per PCB.
For 100 boards it goes down to $6 per PCB.
For 200 boards it's $5 per PCB.

Carl

Neil, is this worth custom traffo's, perhaps with dual secondary windings to separately power both HackerCap boards for the amp, and a second smaller traffo with dual secondaries to drive the front end HackerCap boards? I was thinking about how to fit this lot into one box and the answer was, "no"

That was the plan:see post 40, though I'll shift iit to 40-0-40 for the smaller one...

Having had a closer look at the board layout would I be correct in saying that, although ample space has been left for C2, the form factor of that space will not accommodate the 47 uF MMKs from the two recent GBs? These are 30 mm square with lead spacing of 27.5mm.

malcolm

That's right. C2 is 42mm x 19mm with lead spacing of 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 22.5, 27.5, and 37.5mm.

Although C2 will accommodate a slightly larger cap, 30mm square caps just won't go. At least, they won't go on top... they'd fit underneath no problem!

Tracing the FE+Vin and FE-Vin.
If C5 and C7 are oriented same as the caps beside them, there may be sparks.
Unless they are 100uF non-polars.

The caps aren't oriented the same as the caps next to them, so I've added a + symbol in the appropriate place to clarify the polarity. I'll upload an updated screenshot soon.

Thanks for the QA check :)

Carl

Could you increase my Amp boards from 6 to 8 (and the rectifier boards from 12 to 16)

A couple more to help us all get closer to the magic 100 :)

Cheers
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back