advertisement

For want of a better name: the HackerNAP board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to put together 3 amps ...... so looks like 12 PSUs plus 6 Amp Boards + 4 & 2 to get started and iron out "errors"!!!!!

Got you down for 16 + 8, pending cost info.

If there's that much demand some custom trafos might be in order too, say 2 CT secondaries, 30v-0-30v for the back and and 35v-35v for the front - it may save expense and space in the case...

That's a pretty cool idea. The 30-0-30 should be fairly beefy, say 300-500VA. The 35-0-35 can be very low power, say 10-20VA or so. We'd need two trafos per amp, but I wonder if it would be cheaper to make a trafo with 4 center taps instead?

I'm happy to investigate trafo options for the US - but it doesn't make sense to ship them to the EU unless the supplier has operations in both places and can do two local runs...

I have a good feeling that this is the amp I'm going to want to live with for a long time. :) Hence, I'd like to put in a plug for higher quality PCBs. You know, nice thick pads and coating - like the boards Per Anders does.

I'm in for four and maybe as many as eight of the HackerNAP boards (depending on cost).

I would also be interested in the US trafo "group buy".

Hi Hacker

I am in for 4, always fancied a 4 pack !

Would also be interested in traffo's as well as caps and possibly a GB on the BOM if one occurs

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Hacker

I am in for 4, always fancied a 4 pack !

Would also be interested in traffo's as well as caps and possibly a GB on the BOM if one occurs

Cheers

Gareth

Well if your going to be blatent about it...
We would all like a complete kit :) :) :)

I'll sort some alternative US based trafos...R-core and torroids...

I'll get specs and prices on each as dual CT'd, 30-0-30 @ 500VA + 35-0-35 @ 25VA as a starting point and see where we are.

I'm guessing that just between me, Hacker, Stack and Flash we have a minimum order of at least 20...

Sorry I am a little slow taking it in.
I have 4 Hackacap boards, caps and diodes from the GB.
So for 4 HackerNaps I would need a further 4 Hackacap boards.
Sounds like Les will need to sort more of the Kendeils.

Hi Carl, Neil

Just a thought on the traffo’s. I thought 50V on the output stage is the holy grail with a slightly higher front end voltage. To that end would 35-0-35 and 40-0-40 be better?
Also whilst only milliamps are drawn through the front end, I again thought the perceived wisdom was to feed even that with a much higher rate traffo as in the HiCap?

Tony

I'm happy to investigate trafo options for the US - but it doesn't make sense to ship them to the EU unless the supplier has operations in both places and can do two local runs...

Is this where we sign onto the group buy? Another interested Yank here...

Let's keep the GB threads separate. I'll track the amp boards and PSU boards in their respective threads, Neil can track the trafo stuff in another. That'll keep things organised nicely.

WRT voltages, I agree that 35-0-35 and 40-040 would be better.

Carl

Hi Carl, Neil

Just a thought on the traffo’s. I thought 50V on the output stage is the holy grail with a slightly higher front end voltage. To that end would 35-0-35 and 40-0-40 be better?
Also whilst only milliamps are drawn through the front end, I again thought the perceived wisdom was to feed even that with a much higher rate traffo as in the HiCap?

Tony

In an initial discussion with 2 producers we can actually specify the required DC (after rectification) voltages - then they will convert back to AC design parameters. Not sure about the front end demands - I'll leave that to the wise...

Interestingly one of the suppliers has a European capability and can do parallel runs both sides of the Atlantic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back