advertisement

Floorstands or stand mounts speakers

nbaptista

pfm Member
I have a small room, 3*3 m . At the moment I have Epos M15 floorstands.After swapping the Audioquest Midnight speaker cable for a Qed XT 40 the sound improved. I had too much bass with the Audioquest, and now the bass is much more controled.Yesterday I heard a Epos K3 /Creek system. I really liked the new Epos, the sound is easy to follow, smooth and relaxed. The port reflex is at front, so no problems with the back walls. In accoustic terms, what could I gain with a stand mount speakers like the K1i Epos versus the floorstands Epos M15 I own?

Epos M15s, I've just Googled, are rear ported, and simply shouldn't work properly against a wall; in fact, they are surely designed to be used in free space (and plenty of it). I had ProAc Response Fours, which needed almost as much room behind as in front. No wonder you had bass problems.

Getting front-ported speakers, although better, are still not ideal for rear wall placement. Infinite baffles (sealed boxes) or some folded horns are the better bet. Look at the other thread above on a similar topic.

I would caution against the idea that only rear ported speakers don't work well against a back wall. The point is the total in-room response of the speaker.

Speakers that will work well against a wall (SBLs being the most obvious case) tend to be specifically designed to do so.

I would caution against the idea that only rear ported speakers don't work well against a back wall. The point is the total in-room response of the speaker.

Speakers that will work well against a wall (SBLs being the most obvious case) tend to be specifically designed to do so.

+ 1

advertisement

Back