advertisement

Flea and other mods to CDi...

Thanks, no - I was listening to it when it failed, mid track it just stopped playing.

Things to do;
- there are 2 low value tants around the 7310 - I try swapping them over
- 2 other very small tants, one used in CPU cct, one on servo board - swap them around
- trace laser RF signal through the chain from tda8808 (what I should have been doing yesterday :))

However, I need some time off from damned thing :)

Dragging this back up from the dead - a year and four months later I decide to attempt repair again. I recently bought Laverda's heavily modified CDi - it had a fault (white noise at output), but read discs. I figured I could track the fault on mine down using his, and vice versa.

Laverda's CDi *did* read discs - I stupidly stopped the disc motor manually by hand while it was playing a disc - it did not like this at all (but I am sure I did same to my CDi on occasion too without harm),and disc now spins slowly backwards constantly! What an idiot :)

So, I then started swapping bits to see what effect they had - one with disc running slowly backwards (Laverda's), the other with 2 or 3 little blips of spin motor and no more (mine) - neither reading TOC;

1.) I put my servo/laser in Laverda's - weird, same slowly running backwards, but now also with those 2 or little blips that mine experienced. Conclusion - problem with mine is with servo/laser.

2.) Laverda's servo/laser into my machine - no more backward spinning, disc spins correctly but fails to load TOC (you can hear laser trying to focus)

3.) I then check platter height on Laverda's mech - it looks a little low - sure enough, trying to prise it up shows the glue bond had broken. But resetting to 25 thou between bottom of platter and mech chassis made no difference - still spins up correctly, you can hear laser trying, but fails with ERR

4.) Then I try my laser on Laverda's servo - fault as per mine returns; 2 or 3 little blips instead of attempting TOC. Conclusion: something wrong with my mech

5.) Laverda's laser on my servo - disc only tries to spin clockwise when lid open! Conclusion: something wrong with my servo too!

6.) I then swapped the laser assembly from a working cdm9/44 in a Kodak PC860 into Laverda's mech - same issue - spins but no TOC, just ERR. Putting Laverda's laser ass back into the Kodak and it works fine.

7.) I noticed that on my player, the MN4264P-15 (DRAM chip) runs very hot, maybe hotter than the SAA7220. I later checked on Laverda's - it is warm but not hot on his. Need to check this point further.

8.) I put my machine away at this point, and went back to Laverda's - putting his servo/laser back into his machine. Same: disc running slowly backwards. Flea output looks OK scope, but to be sure I pulled the Flea out of my Marantz CD60 to confirm - still same.

9.) I then swapped the SAA7220 from the CD60 into Laverda's - still the same, disc running slowly backwards.

I now give up for the day :) While removing parts from the CD60 I see it uses the same chipset as the Naim, so will study it's circuit in more detail tomorrow.

At this stage I suspect I have separate faults on my laser and servo, and that Laverda's has a problem on the main board somewhere.

Has anyone ever had a SAA7310 fail? This is where the clock from pin 9 of SAA7220 goes to. And disc spinning backwards suggests clock fault?

Cheers, Richard

I've never seen the SAA7310 fail. Lots of DAC faults and transport issues but never this chip.

Richard,

My CDi is also spinning backwards, lid open or not. I'm thinking of replacing the 7220 has I have continuity from pin9 to the other pins, player on or off. I have not check the 7310 yet but will look into it if everything else checked out.

Aaron

I've never seen the SAA7310 fail. Lots of DAC faults and transport issues but never this chip.

Thanks. I'm going to check all voltages on Laverda's as a next step. Have you ever had problems with the MN4264P-15 (DRAM chip) - how hot does it normally run? I really wish I had a fully functional laser/servo combo...why did I manually stop the disc?! :)

Richard,

My CDi is also spinning backwards, lid open or not. I'm thinking of replacing the 7220 has I have continuity from pin9 to the other pins, player on or off. I have not check the 7310 yet but will look into it if everything else checked out.

Aaron

Yes, I saw this - forgot to comment. Seems a bit weird, how many other pins does pin 9 have continuity too? And literally a short circuit?

Player off I have 3 continuities, player on I have 11.
The 4264 is very hot and the 317 with the heatsink just above it is very very hot.

It would be great if you can check yours so I can confirm if mine is shot or not.

Cheers
Aaron

Player off I have 3 continuities, player on I have 11.
The 4264 is very hot and the 317 with the heatsink just above it is very very hot.

It would be great if you can check yours so I can confirm if mine is shot or not.

Cheers
Aaron

I don't think you can rely on checking continuity with a DVM while the power is on :)

Which 3 pins does your pin 9 have continuity with on your saa7220 (with the power off)? I can check this for you.

Dowser there's another guys who was diagnosing his Rotel 955AX and had no continuity while his player was on.

But anyway, I have continuity at pin 12,13,14,24 while player is off.

Thanks

Dowser there's another guys who was diagnosing his Rotel 955AX and had no continuity while his player was on.

But anyway, I have continuity at pin 12,13,14,24 while player is off.

Thanks

Sorry, but when you say continuity, what do you mean - how many ohms are you reading?

For example, pins 12 and 24 are ground and 5v supply pins respectively - if they were short, as a result of the saa7220, the associated 5v reg would have gone bang :) Continuity of a few kohms is possible - I'll measure one of mine tonight - but equally is not a fault condition.

You need to be careful measuring in circuit - only sure fire way to tell is to remove the saa7220 from circuit and then re-measure. I suspect this is a red herring though - will confirm the ohms i get between saa7220 pins 12 & 24 later tonight.

Richard

SAA7220P/B measurements between pins 12 and 24;

In circuit: 384 ohms
Out of cct: 10 kohms

SAA7220P/B measurements between pins 12 and 24;

In circuit: 384 ohms
Out of cct: 10 kohms

By continuity I mean they are connected to each others.

Mine reads the same in circuit ~381ohms but not necessary indicate the IC is alright (for mine anyway).

The DRAM chip gets very hot and so is one of the other 317 regs. To me this indicate something is not right, yours DRAM is also running hot. Maybe the fault is related to DRAM chip, a schematic would help in this situation.

By continuity I mean they are connected to each others.

Mine reads the same in circuit ~381ohms but not necessary indicate the IC is alright (for mine anyway).

The DRAM chip gets very hot and so is one of the other 317 regs. To me this indicate something is not right, yours DRAM is also running hot. Maybe the fault is related to DRAM chip, a schematic would help in this situation.

There is no schematic :) See below - I ignore DRAM chip heat currently - using a scope both look similar, and the one with the platter spinning slowly backwards is not as hot as the one that does not read TOC after 2 or 3 blips. How fast is yours running backwards? Note that both of mine use the CDM9 Pro laser and servo board...a definite difference from yours.

My work tonight;

Compared clock signal between my CDi (stock clock currently), and Laverda's (running a Flea I had in my Marantz CD-60). They're different, but am not sure if it is significant - this is from pin 9 of the saa7220p/b;

Mine;
35000807174_0a30bfd23f_c.jpg

Laverda's;
35800403986_acde02c3e0_c.jpg

Significant? I assume not at this stage.

Then I compared connectors into the servo board of both machines - using below image descriptor for connectors. I'm focused on repairing Laverda's currently, as I assume easier to fix, but also looking for differences to my machine too (which defvintely has a servo board *&* laser mech fault;
35454561700_467497f052_c.jpg

Main take-aways;

- Laverda's machine has a waveform coming into connector 4/pin 4 that mine does not - this is what is causing the platter to spin slowly in reverse
- My machine has 2.5v on one of the lid switch pins (connector 3/pin 4) which Laverda's does not
- While the MN4264 DRAM chip definitely runs hotter on mine than Laverda's, all waveforms and voltages are similar - I ignore for now

So then I traced the waveform causing platter to spin backwards on Laverda's machine back to main board - it comes from pin 7 of an NE5532 opamp. Pins 5 & 6 have a bit of noise but look OK. Plus and minus 10v fine on pins 4 & 8. There is a perfect sine wave presented to one of the pins 1-3, can't remember which currently - and I have no idea yet of both channels of this dual opamp perform same function currently.

Drawing;
35710552701_5974102bae_c.jpg

Given up for this evening, need to eat. Will compare with my machine tomorrow.

If anyone has any input or advice, please let me know. I really am flying blind here...but will fix these f*cking CDPs :)

Thanks, Richard

How fast is yours running backwards?

Mine is at moderate speed, I havent try the sticky tape measurement but definitely not at warp speed. Feeding off a constant control votage of 4.3V off the NE5532 via pin 7. Pin1 of 5532 also has a constant output of -4.3 V but doesnt make it to the Vc of the motor connector. Pin 2 has input from the 4066 opamp and the system controller IC.

I replaced the 5532 and 4066 and even the LM324 , made no different.

What is the voltage of pin1 on your NE5532?

Aaron

Dammit - looked at this again tonight, moved laser mech out of way to be able to measure around opamp- thing span backwards for 30 mins, then I went for a cigarette - come back and it has stopped. Tested, it still has a little backward inertia, but try a disc and it reads TOC. It's been playing on repeat for 5 hours now, fecking thing!

Dammit - looked at this again tonight, moved laser mech out of way to be able to measure around opamp- thing span backwards for 30 mins, then I went for a cigarette - come back and it has stopped. Tested, it still has a little backward inertia, but try a disc and it reads TOC. It's been playing on repeat for 5 hours now, fecking thing!

If you smoke then the laser can get fogged, lasers on CD players can fail or go low output, particularly early ones, carefully clean it with alcohol and it may work for a bit longer.

Haha - read up thread, it has a new laser...and I don't smoke inside :) I wonder about a poor cable connection given I moved position of mech, but fix was not immediate, so I think not.

Well it's a long thread going back a long time and my memory is not what it was! If you knocked the laser and it worked then focusing issue?

advertisement

Back