advertisement

Flat or thin speaker cable recommendations?

Thank you for the advice. Nordost 2 and Blacklink seem good options, although I like the idea of a 2 channel rug.

Ribbon cable would be a cheap way to do this.
A 25 way 1.27mm pitch could be wired as 12(go)+1(spare)+12(return) giving about 1mm2 total each way.
Wired like that maximises inductance and minimises capacitance for the Naim world.

Due to necessity (it is the thickest stuff that will fit through the grommet on the back of the JR149s) I use Chord Rumour 2 in my upstairs system. Seems perfectly decent, though given the choice I’d use far more copper (my main system uses thick Mogami studio stuff). The Rumour is certainly thin, flexible and easy to route.

When I have had similar difficulties I've made up a small jumper with a short length of thin cable going to a chocolate block connector into which you can plug your big chunky cables or 4mm jack plugs.

My job has required us to move away from the house we own and so we are living in rented accommodation for the next 18 months or so. I have a 252/SC/300DR driving some Shahinian Obelisk 2s and the NACA A5 necessarily crossing the room under a rug. It all sounds lovely, but can anyone recommend some not-too-expensive speaker cable that will leave less of a bump under the rug?
Depends how you define 'not too expensive'.
This is dirt cheap:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=182165071385

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Nordost is really thin and works well below rugs and carpets, as would Electrofluidics, TQ, ESW or DNM being slightly thicker would be more obvious

Some years ago I used some Ortofon SPK 200. Also handy for bi-wiring. Probably discontinued, but eBay is your friend. Very flat, and like most speaker wires, it sounded just like most other speaker wires.
Beware, used it with my Tannoy SGM-10b's, not very good. At first I wondered what happened, shrieky and shrill. Went back to IXOS and order restored.
Have an itch to try them with my ESL-988s but never came to it.

Beware, used it with my Tannoy SGM-10b's, not very good. At first I wondered what happened, shrieky and shrill. Went back to IXOS and order restored.
Have an itch to try them with my ESL-988s but never came to it.

Yebbut... Did you ensure correct directionality and run them in for the recommended 1500 hours with the speakers facing each other and wired out of phase?

Ahh but. If they are moved.. you create new bends. You upset the crystal structure where you stress the conductor around bends, so the run/burn in process needs to be repeated. In fact it becomes more critical, because you have to burn in the new bends and burn out the old ones. I'd recommend a minimum of 2000 hours. I'm surprised I'm having to say it... This is basic stuff!!

Oh..and you must not have any other transducer in the same street whilst doing the burn in.. even the beeper on your phone, or the little pingy thing in a watch. If you explain clearly, your neighbours will be only too willing to cooperate by turning off their house alarms, smoke alarms, microvaves, and all other appliances containing any sort of audible signal. After all 2000 hours is only about 3 months.

Ahh but. If they are moved.. you create new bends. You upset the crystal structure where you stress the conductor around bends, so the run/burn in process needs to be repeated. In fact it becomes more critical, because you have to burn in the new bends and burn out the old ones. I'd recommend a minimum of 2000 hours. I'm surprised I'm having to say it... This is basic stuff!!

Oh..and you must not have any other transducer in the same street whilst doing the burn in.. even the beeper on your phone, or the little pingy thing in a watch. If you explain clearly, your neighbours will be only too willing to cooperate by turning off their house alarms, smoke alarms, microvaves, and all other appliances containing any sort of audible signal. After all 2000 hours is only about 3 months.
Blablabla, you can stop having a field day with my little remark about the Ortofon cables. Not a believer in snake oil. Therefore I was surprised when the cables created that effect, only time I have experienced anything like that. Make of it what you want. And remember your posts when you are tube rolling...

Ok my friend.. Just passing a bit of time. ;) Not aimed at you so much as the general readership. Also, I wasn't impressed by the Ortofon either... though it didn't do anything so dramatic to me or my speakers.

Tube rolling? Nahh. The only tube kit I use now is an EAR 834 phono. I changed the supplied Edicrons for allegedly 'mil-spec' Mullards which sounded slightly more 'gutsy'. That was ages ago..

They're probably run in by now.... ;)

advertisement

Back