advertisement

First smart ‘phone? For a 10 year old….

gary1064

pfm Member
Our eldest daughter will be going to high school next year, which depending on the school placement allocations could involve a 30 minute bus journey to get there. She’s going to need a ‘phone and we’re thinking about getting her one for Christmas. Amazingly some of her peers at primary school already have a ‘phone, it seems mad to me but must be the modern way.

Anyway, I’m way out of touch on these matters. Any recommendations for a cheap(ish) ‘phone that won’t embarrass her? Would you go PAYG or a contract? I’ve no idea how much data a child might use, could rack up easily I guess. As a parent how do I monitor or control this? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I’d get her a giffgaff sim, their goody bags work out much better value than traditional PAYG deals and can be changed or cancelled at any time... also, you can’t go over your allowance and rack up a bill. As for the Phone, I think an iPhone is still the best way to go, they’re easy to use and reliable, they can have their own iCloud account with no bank account/card needed, they will only be able to download free apps so there is no danger of a surprise bill there either. Just don’t buy the latest and most expensive one for her first phone. A 5s, SE or 6 would probably be a good starting point and the refurbished handsets from giffgaff are delivered in pristine condition in my experience albeit with out the original box or accessories... and get a full cover case because she will very likely drop it.

One big word of caution, watch what social media and messaging platforms she is using, there are a whole host of them outside of just Facebook and they’re open to abuse by bullies and other unsavoury characters. Just keep a close eye.

Thanks, I'll look into giffgaff. We do have a spare old iPhone4S but I'm not sure if these are still supported.

The whole topic of social media, bullying and safeguarding is very much a worry. She's a good kid but easily led, we will have to keep a close eye on that.

Just sorted my 11 year old niece out with her first phone for high school

Bought her a Wileyfox Spark via Amazon; if you go for the 'like new' handset you'll save around £30, or the new ones £89

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HG00K1U/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Stick with a GiffGaff or Three SIM only SIM (Giffgaff do one around £5/£7.50 IIRC)

Good little phone, runs on Android (once it's been updated from Cyanogen) and for what it costs, very hard to beat IMO

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks, I'll look into giffgaff. We do have a spare old iPhone4S but I'm not sure if these are still supported.

The whole topic of social media, bullying and safeguarding is very much a worry. She's a good kid but easily led, we will have to keep a close eye on that.

The 4s whilst not supported for updates anymore is still a functional device and is probably a good idea as a first phone, if it gets lost or damaged, it’s no great loss... and you already have it. I’d try her with a £5 a month giffgaff goody bag to begin with and then up her allowance if necessary. Your 4s will need to be unlocked though, unless it’s on o2 I believe.

The online safeguarding thing is and will continue to be an issue, just be diligent and explain to her that she can confide in you about anything without fear of being in trouble. I did this with my daughter and some predator did try and get at her a few months back, she told me immediately and gave him no info about herself.

If you’re not up to speed on social media/ cyber-bullying & internet access of inappropriate content, & your 10 year old daughter is getting a phone soon, take time to learn what can go wrong. Seriously.
Do not for a second think “it won’t happen to our girl”. It may well. It is a massive issue of today & a horrible one at that. I would suggest getting the same model phone as her for yourself so you are fluent with its use. An iPhone of some type is what I’d go for as it’s simpleish to use & understand.

The Wileyfox mentioned is only 8gb memory. Would not take much to fill that up, I would go for 16gb. As for Giffgaff, the £5 deal is only 100mb data, 150 mins and 500 texts. The way kids text, that may not last a month. When my contract (ID mobile) finished, I got a £5 rolling monthly sim only, gives 1mb data, 250 mins and 5000 texts for the same cost. If you need a phone, £7.99 a month will get you a choice of 16gb phones, but less data / minutes (but still 5000 texts).
I find the ID network (runs on Three network) fine, but you best check the best coverage where you live before choosing a deal.
ID also have a useful App to monitor your useage (other providers probably do?). You can also cap your 'out of deal' spend, which would be useful. My phone is a Motorola G, not fancy, but does the job for me.

Kids use phones not tablets - so make sure you get one with enough storage (or that takes an expansion memory card), and i'd suggest 16gb as the minimum. You'll find it'll fill with photos, music, and random apps that have been downloaded.

I went for a moto-g when my son got to that age, and it lasted for 4 years or so. He now has a more recent moto-g and this is again working well for him (he's now 17).

As for keeping an eye on their online use, messaging etc, it's really all about trust, and knowing your kid. If they are open with you about stuff, this will obviously make things easier. My son is good about this stuff, and a top tip for finding out if they are up to anything is to ask to look something up on their phone, and see if they are reluctant to hand it across.

Some good info there, thanks all.

Regarding the cyber safety topic, the school recently brought in an outside expert and ran an evening seminar for parents on "e-safety". It was very scary, learning about sexting, bullying and grooming. Not only social media but also on-line games (eg. Roblox or Minecraft) in particular aren't safe, being used by the bad guys to groom kids. Some of the victims are as young as five. So we're certainly not complacent on that score and fortunately we can discuss this openly with our daughter. A huge shame that only ten parents bothered to attend, I think a lot of them think this is stuff that happens to other people.

The Wileyfox mentioned is only 8gb memory. Would not take much to fill that up, I would go for 16gb. As for Giffgaff, the £5 deal is only 100mb data, 150 mins and 500 texts. The way kids text, that may not last a month. When my contract (ID mobile) finished, I got a £5 rolling monthly sim only, gives 1mb data, 250 mins and 5000 texts for the same cost. If you need a phone, £7.99 a month will get you a choice of 16gb phones, but less data / minutes (but still 5000 texts).
I find the ID network (runs on Three network) fine, but you best check the best coverage where you live before choosing a deal.
ID also have a useful App to monitor your useage (other providers probably do?). You can also cap your 'out of deal' spend, which would be useful. My phone is a Motorola G, not fancy, but does the job for me.

It has expandable memory, so not an issue!

I actually have the £12 a month goody bag for my daughter and at the minute it’s enough. £20 gets you unlimited calls/texts and always on data.

Some good info there, thanks all.

Regarding the cyber safety topic, the school recently brought in an outside expert and ran an evening seminar for parents on "e-safety". It was very scary, learning about sexting, bullying and grooming. Not only social media but also on-line games (eg. Roblox or Minecraft) in particular aren't safe, being used by the bad guys to groom kids. Some of the victims are as young as five. So we're certainly not complacent on that score and fortunately we can discuss this openly with our daughter. A huge shame that only ten parents bothered to attend, I think a lot of them think this is stuff that happens to other people.

I find it amazing how ignorant people can be. People really need to be aware of the issues kids can face online and know how to deal with it.

3 are doing a ZTE for £15 per month unlimited voice and text so she can always be in contact with no worry of cost, 4 Gig of data should be plenty, phones very good too.
You can get it for £13 if you loose the "feel at home" bit which allows you to use it abroad at no extra cost which we found invaluable.
4GB
Data.

Noupfront cost.

£15.00a month.*

24 month Essential Plan
All-you-can-eat
minutes.
All-you-can-eat
texts.
  • Personal Hotspot Allowance
  • Feel At Home Around the World
  • Go Binge.

Why does a ten year old need a phone?...or am I just being old fashioned?
No, you are not being old fashioned, you are raising a hugely salient point. The implication of several other posts on this thread amply demonstrates this.

Our eldest daughter will be going to high school next year, which depending on the school placement allocations could involve a 30 minute bus journey to get there. She’s going to need a ‘phone and we’re thinking about getting her one for Christmas. Amazingly some of her peers at primary school already have a ‘phone, it seems mad to me but must be the modern way.

Anyway, I’m way out of touch on these matters. Any recommendations for a cheap(ish) ‘phone that won’t embarrass her? Would you go PAYG or a contract? I’ve no idea how much data a child might use, could rack up easily I guess. As a parent how do I monitor or control this? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

My daughter is 9 and is bursting to have her own phone, but she doesn't need it right now, so she's not having one. At the point she needs to commute to school - unaccompanied - she will be able to have one. She suffers from a very serious dairy allergy so this is another significant reason why I accept that it is inevitable. That said, the reason she will have it is so that she can easily communicate with me or Mrs. farfromthesun, should the need arise. At this moment in time, I have a fairly hard view on whether the internet, and all that comes with it, is needed. I understand why kids at this age want a phone, but the risks and costs associated means that we're going to meet in the middle when it comes to what she can and can't do with it. Think carefully about what you're going to be comfortable with her doing with it, because once you've taken the leap and allowed access to everything, it will be very difficult to turn back.

I used to know the head of ebay Germany. He said his kids would be getting phones when they're 16 at the earliest. I believe one of the heads of Facebook has the same opinion. I also remember this:
I have also seen a lecture in German about how smart phones interfere with brain development.
I made it to and from boarding school on a tube, train and then bus without a mobile.
IMHO a smart phone is completely unnecessary, and if you really feel she needs the safety blanket of being able to call, then I would just get a non-smart phone.

What you are all arguing against is inevitable. Everyone is in front of screens far more than they should be. Anyone on this forum included, making you a hypocrite.

When your child arrives at school with a flip phone from the 90s, they are going to be very much in the minority. My sons schools makes them put the phones in lockers in the morning and they are only allowed out for one break period in the day. This seems like a reasonable balance in the grand scheme of things.

I bet the head of ebay germany allows his kids to have a personal laptop, or PC, or tablet, or tv in their room or to watch tv on their no doubt 75in QLED LG Wallpaper tv. Its inevitable. Hiding your kid in a cupboard because of outdated views is not going to help them any more than a silver foil hat.

With an iPhone, and I'm sure others too, you can lock out the ability for your child to install (or remove) apps without permission which goes a long way to alleviating some of your fears. Most phone will also give you the ability to see where she is (or at least where the phone is) which is helpful too.

advertisement

Back