advertisement

Filter attachment advice...

ishmac

pfm Member
Need advice please as to which make of filter system is your preference regards shooting outdoor landscape b/w & colour photography.

I've a newly aquired Canon 5D (Mk1) with a 28-105 Canon lens, with a few other lenses in the pipe line for the near future etc.

Which might be the best add-on attachment filter system, Hoya/Cokin/Lee?

Which filters are best to use for landscape photography? Neutral density grads etc? Advice please...

Advice greatly appreciated, thank you!

The usual suspects are orange, red and green filters for B&W photography, and split ND and polarising filters for colour. You can go with warming filters etc for film, but in the digital world you are better off just bumping the white balance around a bit to change mood.

I have a cokin system, I can't remember which one it is, but it does up to a 77mm thread to cover my lenses. I use this on canon digital and various MF film cameras.

I have a 77mm circular polariser, and I use step down rings to make this fit 67 and 59mm filters for most other lenses I own.

If I were to get just one, i'd go with a good circular polariser. You only want to buy one of these, so make sure it's going to cover all lenses you are likely to want to use it on (with appropriate adapters).

Cesare

If you want ND grads for Landscapes, then Lee are considered to be the best. However, they're expensive and there are often waiting times. If you are buying into the whole Lee system, you could use one of their polarisers, but you are probably just better off with a round polariser and step-up rings for your various lens thread sizes.

For an auto focus DSLR, you'll need a circular (not to be confused with 'round' - as in it's shape), rather than a linear polariser.

advertisement

Back