advertisement

Eyes Wide Open -- Stanley Kubrick as Photographer

You can tell he was a photographer before e was a film-maker. There is a good documentary about him "A of lenses.Life in Pictures" that tells how he would challenge his director of photography about the choice

Interesting video; thanks for posting @krenzler.

Must admit I never noticed any of those 'looks' whenever I watched the film. As for why Kubrick wanted Nicholson to do this, I'm going with one of the comments, that Kubrick was experimenting with subliminal perception as a way to unnerve the audience.

John

Here's the YouTube link lennyw posted in #1, a bit easier to dive into.

Fascinating thanks- what a talented photojournalist he was, my goodness. And the essence of his films stem from here.

Wish I could go see this exhibition.

Thanks for that. Not looked at his photography for a while. You can see his photography in his films. It's amazing that his perfectionism has had such a massive influence on photographers both directly and indirectly.

I often think if you accept the D.O.P position on a Kubrick film, you know you're actually not going to be, but SK will be. He chose the lenses for most shots, probably told the DOP where he wanted lamps too. So it was either infuriating for the DOP, or, he just accepted his decisions/ lighting skills were always overseen by SK, & may have been less work in fact for him. I bet there were more than a few arguments though. Clashing egos.

It was watching SK's cinemaography thst got me into working on cameras as an assistant.

advertisement

Back