advertisement

Exposure xv funny noises

hixy

pfm Member
My old amp is making funny noises when it's not playing music.maybe it is interference or something.It does seem very sensitive like that.I have tried earthing it to my power conditioner and removing things to see if it stops but no joy.should I ship it of to exposure or is there something I can do.Im ok using a soldering iron.

Mick

Hi Mick,

I feel your pain. Have you moved recently?

Older Exposure amps are noisy and sensitive to mains borne interference. Powerline adapters and earth loops (most commonly through dual earths through the TV Aerial) exacerbate this. Does it get worse when other devices (especially the TV) are switched on? Have you tried another amplifier with a conventional transformer?

I moved a couple of years ago and found my Super XV started buzzing like hell, which it had never done before and using powerline adapters and switching the telly on exacerbated this (both of which had, however, caused probs before). I tried a big Sony ES power amp and found that was also affected, although to a far more tolerable level. I went nuts trying to find the root cause and was advised by Tony Brady of Exposure that there was little they could do. I ended up selling the amp and replacing it with Linn amplification which has switched mode power supplies (SMPS) that are totally impervious to this sort of thing.

I strongly suspect mine was picking up powerline interference from a neighbour. Powerlines effectively turn mains supplies into shortwave transmitters and can interfere with all sorts of sensitive devices.

This also led me to the observation that whilst the MC phono stages in exposure integrated amplifiers are, indeed, very good, the ones in Kairns and Exotiks are in a whole different league.

Simon

For some reason I had the CDP in the tape outs on the amp I think it was because I was told that this would be better for sound quality.since I have moved the CDP to CDP sockets it seems fine now. The amp is very sensitive to interference.

advertisement

Back